Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM

Default 85 M2 Lead (MkII c+) apparently.

Just wondering why they would not include the graphic EQ and other controls on this model? Seems strange to me that they set the EQ, so obviously its NOT flat, THEN modelled the amp? Same can be asked regarding the triple recto. As it says in the following ,for the 85 M2 lead...

"The Mark IIc+ can be heard on everything from the progressive rock solos of Dream Theater’s John Petrucci to the super chunky rhythm sounds of Metallica’s James Hetfield. Used during the sessions for And Justice For All and Master of Puppets, Hetfield always had the amp’s graphic EQ set up in a “V” curve to maintain a tight bass sound, while getting rid of any unnecessary midrange boominess.

We’ve based our emulation on the Lead channel with the Fat, Bright, and Gain Boost options on. We even re-created the classic “V” EQ curve!"

Ok, this isnt a criticism of the ER. In fact, I have been getting some ball tearingly stunning sounds from this model with a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] PRS (SE) with Dragon 2 p/u's. However, this seems very limiting. Why wouldnt you model the thing FLAT? Just how much of a affected sound from flat are we getting with a "V" setting on the graphic EQ? If you do some research, you can see many people think that the EQ on these MKII C+'s was crap and added a harsh sheen to the sound. Not to mention the fat ,bright and gain options ON, instead of OFF and made available in the simulation.

Anyway, yes Im getting a sound from this model I love so why do I care? Well, Im just curious. The thing that bothers me the most is presuming a "V" curve on the graphic is going to be a starting point that many will want to work from, big assumption! Just how common was it to set a graphic like that one on of these amps I wonder. Just curious as I said and keen to hear any thoughts.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Default Re: 85 M2 Lead (MkII c+) apparently.

Hi i own a IIc+ and the graphic eq is killer...

Mesa Boogie IIC+ JVK Monster
Eleven Rack
EBMM Petrucci Variax
Dunlop GCB95Q
Ernie Ball Volume pedal VPJR6180
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Avid

Hi Timos,

We've definitely considered adding more graphic EQ options. If you want you can post a feature request on our Ideascale page. The more votes it gets the more likely we will be to add it. Also, here are some pics of James Hetfield's rigs, which have some clear shots of his EQ settings.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/j...d/IMG_0769.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/jam...es1993rack.jpg
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 AM

Hi Chris,

something I didn't understand is why the graphic eq pedal is set at 2khz and 3.5khz ?? sounds weird for me. Putting the 5th band at 6khz instead of 3.5 khz like in the Boogie would have made more sense to me...

Mesa Boogie IIC+ JVK Monster
Eleven Rack
EBMM Petrucci Variax
Dunlop GCB95Q
Ernie Ball Volume pedal VPJR6180
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemass View Post
Hi Chris,

something I didn't understand is why the graphic eq pedal is set at 2khz and 3.5khz ?? sounds weird for me. Putting the 5th band at 6khz instead of 3.5 khz like in the Boogie would have made more sense to me...
Put it on ideascale
Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemass View Post
Hi Chris,

We've definitely thought about modeling other graphic EQs, so we have more options for EQ frequencies. We could even add a standalone boogie EQ effect. And as Adam said, put the features you'd like to see on Ideascale.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Also, here are some pics of James Hetfield's rigs, which have some clear shots of his EQ settings.
That's all fine and dandy.

I just wish you folks modelled his NEW rig. Now that would be something! (Diezel VH-4)

Alas though, beggars can't be choosers.

I'll just keep submitting via the ideascale.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:44 PM

+1 on vh4 or Herbert sims. They have my vote. The Herbert would be great, Adam Jones uses one apparently. I like Adam Jones :)
Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM

The mark series has this time had variations and then having older II series amps upgraded to the IIc+ made quite a few variations. The most sought after models and the ones the gurus like the most are the models w/o the graphic eq. I believe even petrucci's fav IIc+ is a non graphic eq model. I also believe the models Mesa used to model the mark IIc+ voicing on the mark v is also a non eq model. I have had the food fortune of playing both with and without, and regardless, they sound killer.

I can say for sure about the mark III's, but all the mark IV's have a graphic and of course the V does as well.

I own a mark v and will say the 11r does a pretty good job of it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10