Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Tempo sync?

Hi guys, reposting this here from the midi forums, because they get no action:

I don't even know if I'm using the correct terminology. I'm new at using midi through protools. What I am trying to do is get my multiple tracks of midi, through my computer, sound module, and into pro tools one track at a time so the tempo aligns and everything syncs up hunky dory. This is what I'm using for those steps:

Mac Powerbook G4 - Sibelius 2.11 - Roland XV5080 - Digi 002R (LE 6.7)

I'm pretty much clueless from step one to step ?? I'm even going to admit I'm not sure how to get the midi to feed into the back of the 002R unit. After that step I assume you have to sync up the machines. How is this done internally? Then setting up the same beats per minute and some kind of count off for the programs to start recording and playing at the same time each take. I'm in over my head.

I used to just record the entire sibelius song into a stereo tracks, but obviously that severely limits the amount of adjusting you can do to the instruments in terms of - well everything.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 11-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Tempo sync?

I'm not familiar with Sibelius(I kind of know what it is, no hands on though) but let make sure what you are trying to do:

Use Sibelius to stream MIDI to the Roland, send audio from the Roland into ProTools, all on the same computer? How many tracks are you talking about?

It may be a little tricky to do this as you would be trying to set up the MIDI control of outside devices from two different applications simultaneously, and you would need to link the transports of both programs so when you hit go on one, both start recording/playing. It can be done because I used to link up cubase and PT for similar purposes (I think it involved the IAC bus?), and you might need to tweak around in Core audio/midi setup from OSX system preferences, but...

It may be just as easy to copy the MIDI tracks from Sib. into a ProTools session with the same tempo. If all your MIDI tracks in Sibelius have the same start point, it should be pretty easy, but if not it will be tougher. If you can make this work, you'll just need to make a bunch of audio tracks and set up your midi tracks (or instrument tracks) to speak to your Roland, and then record the Roland to the audio tracks.. If you don't know how to work with MIDI/Instrument tracks in Protools then you should really look through the PT reference manual for some of that basic info...

Here is a note from someone who was at AES 2006:
"I was just at the Digidesign booth, where I heard about Pro Tools 7.3, which will be coming for LE, M-Powered, and HD soon–probably in late November. Version 7.3 will be a Universal Binary release, and will have a large number of user-interface improvements including saveable window sets and upgraded looping functions. The new version will also offer integration with Sibelius notation software (recently purchased by Digidesign). That will allow Pro Tools users to automatically export MIDI tracks into Sibelius where they can easily be turned into lead sheets. "

If this happens, your dilemma may get much easier very soon, only for the cost of the upgrade..