Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Record enabled tracks disengage after I stop playback when listening back to take?

Any one know why this happens. If I record a take in Pro Tools HD 10 and I listen back to the take after the recording. When I stop playback all of my tracks will automatically take themselves out of record mode. I then have re-enable all the tracks to record again and I miss what the artist is trying to tell me after they listen back. Any one know of a setting or an issue in Pro Tools HD 10 that casues this?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 AM

Lightbulb Re: Record enabled tracks disengage after I stop playback when listening back to take

What is the state of Track menu-->Auto Input Monitor?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Record enabled tracks disengage after I stop playback when listening back to take

We can't find Auto Input Monitor in that menu.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Record enabled tracks disengage after I stop playback when listening back to take

FYI, The green "button" with the I in it is lit when any track is set to Input-Only monitoring(its beside the red Record "button" on each track).
But I'm not sure how that matters here and I have never seen this happen on any PT system I have worked on. Describe the entire hardware setup(especially if you have any controller connected).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2015, 03:30 PM

Ah you have Pro Tools HD with it's per-track input monitoring options and the Track menu global input options are "Set Record Tracks to Input Only" and "Set Record Tracks to Auto input".

But, like Dave, I'm not sure where any of this is going. Track input monitoring would never unarm record arming on tracks. Like you actually see the red arm light go off on those tracks?

Sounds to me more like you might(?) be getting yourself confused with track punch behavior. Read the Pro Tools reference guide on track punch and specifically the "Transport Record Lock" setting.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:58 PM

If we have multiple tracks in record for drums or something, when we record a take everything works fine. We can keep recording takes and nothing malfunctions. But if we decide to listen to a take with the tracks still in record mode. When I stop the playback all the tracks that were in record go out of record mode. And I have to put them all back into record mode to do another take. Its very annoying and has only been happening since we upgraded to Pro Tools 10 HD. We have a Power Mac with an Avid HDX 16/16 IO.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:51 PM

OK this is making no sense.

You are absolutely sure the red record arm indicators go off on all record armed tracks? Those tracks do not go into mute mode or somethign else?

What OS/computer? Do you have a control surface attached? What exact one? A keyboard or mouse or similar with programmed shortcuts/macros? Are you using online transport or satellite or anything else but a bare Pro Tools 10 HD setup?

Are you in loop record mode or what? Quickpunch? etc. not that I can think any of those make any difference.

It is hard to follow exactly what is going on. What exact step by step things are you doing/what is every exact buttons on the transport UI are you clicking on? When exactly do the individual track arm indicators go off? Like you record a pass then hit the transport stop button. Then click the transport record arm button to disarm it, then hit Return/Rewind to Zero button, then hit play, does the individual track record arm go off at one of those steps or when you again hit the transport stop button?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 PM

We are running Mountain Lion and we do have a control 24 console connected via ethernet.

I'll walk you through what happens.

Lets say we are recording a vocal.

I put that vocal track into record mode. We record a take by pressing 3 on the number keypad. I press the space bar to stop the recording at the end of the take. The track stops and the vocal track is still in record mode. I can sill talk with the artists about whether or not we liked the take. Then I press the space bar to listen back to the track. The vocal track is still in record mode but we can listen to the take with no problem. Then I hit the space bar again to stop playback at the end of the take. It's at this time that the vocal track will go out of record mode and I can longer hear the artist. So I scramble to put the track back in record mode so I can hear what he or she is saying about the take.

Before I upgraded this was never the case. The tracks would just remain in record mode and we could listen back and record etc with no issues. What setting in Pro Tools am I missing or what should I take a look at?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Are you on 10.3.9? If yes, go back to 10.3.8 and I bet that solves the issue.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Record enabled tracks disengage after I stop playback when listening back to ...

Oh boy there is a track record arm as well as a (HD Accel) track input monitoring bug in 10.3.9?