Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-03-2023, 08:37 PM

Default older Pro Tools (18) with Ventura?

I have an older version of Pro Tools (18). I haven’t used it in awhile, but since I loaded Ventura, I get a pop up every time I start my mac
“AvidApplicationManager” is damaged and can’t be opened”.

I haven’t used PT in awhile, but since I loaded Ventura, I get a pop up every time I start my mac:
“AvidApplicationManager” is damaged and can’t be opened”.
I don’t know if PT18 is just too old/incompatible, if it’s an issue with iLok (which sees my PT license), or if it has something to do with this AvidApplicationManager. does anyone know? I’ve re-downloaded the app mgr, but still nothing. PT/Avid support is difficult to reach (unless you have an active subscription). I finally got through to someone in sales, who just told me the same info as the “compatibility chart” online, which suggests that the “perpetual license” version of PT cannot be used with any OS that is newer than when that version of PT was released. that can’t be true. ??
I did try it on a much older, slower mac with Mojave and it works. anyone know if it’s possible to work on the M1 with Ventura?

thanks!
Old 05-03-2023, 09:44 PM

Default Re: older Pro Tools (18) with Ventura?

Welcome to DUC.

What exactly are you talking about Pro Tools 2018.?? What exactly?

If so you are almost guaranteed to have (multiple) issues on Ventura. Give up now.

Pro Tools compatibility chart you have already been pointed at: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

You don't trust the Avid employees's advice on that? But that is good advice. With so many invasive changes on macOS in the last handful of years I would be especially sticking to what is officially supported. And since you have an M1 Mac you will be wanting to think about running that natively -- which is only supported on 2022.12 or 2023.3 and sorting out all your plugins are native etc. If it was up to me now would seem a good time to do that. There are literally thousands of posts on DUC about the native plugin transition that you can look through.

You also need to sort out that your audio interface has driver support, especially on M1 on Ventura. Hopefully it was already working on whatever macOS was running there before, so at least has a M1 compatible driver. Apple is continuing to tighten up on kernel mode driver use, they still can run under Ventura but Apple want them to go away. Hopefully your interface has a user mode driver aka dext from the interface vendor which will provide easier longer term support.

If you let the Pro Tools support/upgrade plan lapse you can buy a reinstatement from an Avid authorized dealer. Not a renewal, but a reinstatement for a lapsed plan, go though a trusted/official dealer to be sure you are purchasing the right thing.

And besides Pro Tools itself: Avid Application manager was a just awful buggy and unreliable piece of bloatware. It was replaced by Avid Link, a somewhat less buggy but still unreliable piece of bloatware. Many of us uninstall those programs and download the installers directly from our Avid.com accounts. There are always multiple installers to download (if you are on a current support plan you get all the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle plugins and more).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-03-2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
If so you are almost guaranteed to have (multiple) issues on Ventura.
Nope, just one issue - it won't launch at all.

Quote:
You don't trust the Avid employees's advice on that?
I have used PT on newer systems than was supported many times without issue. Unsupported just means untested. But it rarely works more than 1 or 2 versions of macOS newer than the officially supported version.
9 worked flawlessly for me up to Mavericks. 7 worked on Snow Leopard.

The version in question. 2018 works fine in Mojave but not at all after than. Won't even launch in Catalina.

Also, the current versions are decent in Sonoma but sonoma in general is a dumpster fire and I am staying on Ventura for now.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:23 PM

Compatibility info here.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:29 PM

Depending on your needs, you can just download the latest Pro Tools and install it right over the 2018 version. If you don't have a license for it, you it will default to PT Intro which is very capable but limited to 8 mono or stereo tracks.

And Artist is only 200 not or 10 bucks a month.