How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Live Recording Video Lock w/ HDX Option Card

Hey there,

I was wondering how those that record live shows with the HDX Option card sync their systems with video cameras for post show editing???

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep everything synced together and I figured this would be a great place to start finding answers.

I'm a registered PT HD3 owner as well as having the HDX Option card.

Would I need some sort of Rosendahl Nanosync clock as well?

Please share with me your knowledge on the subject and how you go about locking audio and video worlds together in this day and age for post show treatments that could lead to DVD releases etc...

Thanks for your time,

Craig
Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Live Recording Video Lock w/ HDX Option Card

Craig,
You would need a Sync HD as part of your HD system that would accept time code and some form of sync signal from the video system...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM

or a Big Ben from Apogee should do the trick
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Hi Craig,

it was discussed at some point on the DUC. Have copied the solution- see below. Hope that helps.

Radu

When you plug a BNC cable carrying word clock from another source (outboard sync device) into a word clock in port on the FOH Rack, the Mix Rack, or the SC48, your VENUE system will automatically clock to the incoming word clock. "EXT" appears in the box at the bottom of the VENUE screen.

If you want to set up a clocking situation with video, it's always best to have the VENUE be the word clock master, in case something happens to word clock during the show (which can interrupt the audio output of the VENUE sytem).

If you want to sync VENUE (and the rest of the audio and video gear) to a video ref signal (for example, an SD or HD video signal), you need a DIGI SYNC HD peripheral. Video ref signal into SYNC HD, word clock out of SYNC HD to WC IN on the VENUE system (word clock input auto-detects in VENUE). Loop sync out of SYNC HD to loop sync in on Pro Tools interface.

Now configure Pro Tools (ignore references to Time Code, unless you are using it ):

1)In Pro Tools, choose Setup > Peripherals, click the Synchronization tab, and choose Enable Sync HD or Enable SYNC I/O depending on the peripheral used (also, remember to connect the DigiSerial cable from SYNC HD to the PT Core card).

2. Choose Setup > Session, and in the Format section of the Session Setup window, do the following:From the Clock Source pop-up menu, choose SYNC as the clock source.From the Time Code Rate pop-up menu, set the time code rate to match the frame rate of the provided time code. This must match the frame rate of the time code used for the video recording.

3. In the Sync Setup & Time Code Offsets section of the Session Setup window, do the following:From the Clock Reference pop-up menu, choose Video Reference (SD) for NTSC/PAL signals, or Video Reference (HD) for bi- or tri-level signals (SYNC HD only). From the Positional Reference pop-up menu, choose the format of incoming time code.From the Video Ref Format pop-up menu, do one of the following depending on which video ref format you selected from the Clock Reference pop-up menu:
If you selected Video Reference (SD) as your Clock Reference, choose NTSC or PAL.
If you selected Video Reference (HD) as your Clock Reference, choose the video reference rate that is being sent to you.

4. In the Time Code Settings section, enable Jam Sync, and set the Audio and Video Pull Up/Down to None.

To verify that the SYNC peripheral is the Loop Master for word clock, go to Setup > Hardware. Make sure that Clock Source is set to SYNC, and the Loop Master is SYNC.

Also, you can use a third-party sync peripheral, which would accept incoming video ref and time code, then distribute to a SYNC HD (still required for Pro Tools), then follow as described above.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM

You need a sync HD/io and blackburst. We have a big ben, sync IO/HD and a Mojo interface for our setup. Couldn't get it to sync properly until I put in the Sync IO and blackburst generator.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 AM

The way we did it was...

Having the console connected through the loopsync of the SYNC HD along with the HD system... Then our video folk gave us a VITC feed... We checked the appropriate setting in PT, according to the manual, and it worked...

We had trouble with some of the other ways but I think that's because of the equipment we had on the video side...

VITC is basically a video feed that has time code laced into it. Pro Tools decodes that. (Hope I'm not way wrong here...) Makes it pretty easy to check and see if you're getting good signal at the SYNC because you can just plug in a monitor and see if you have video.

That's what worked for us...

Jason
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

You've all been helpful in pointing me in the right direction. I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop additional coin on a Sync HD + extra gear like the Mojo piece + cabling, etc... but to do it right it seems like that's what has to happen.

I don't feel all that comfortable handing over audio sync for a large live show to the video team. That's pretty scary to me.

Craig