How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-17-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Backup software conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What part of 'do not do backups while PT is running' do you not get? Is there any real reason that you're doing what you do?

Because it works for me, and has for years. YMMV.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
"Well behaved" software just should not assert because a checkpoint is taken on the filesystem that the software has files open on. While that might be happening here, it also might be something else entirely is going on.
Exactly.
Quote:
Maybe you can try Arq with checkpointing disabled as just another check on this to make sure its not some other APFS related thing.
Already done. Disabling "Use snapshots on APFS volumes" in Arq eliminates the error.
Quote:
It would be interesting to see the cause here, if this is somehow happening due to a checkpoint being taken then Avid would hopefully try to fix it...or produce a more useful error "just because"... and no not to allow people to backup using checkpoints when Pro Tools is running.
I agree completely. Thanks, Darryl!
Old 03-18-2021, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
Because it works for me, and has for years. YMMV.
And now it doesn't so you'll have to change to the way everyone else works as regards backing up stuff. Prudence dictates NOT having your backup system online all the time.

QAPLA!
Old 03-18-2021, 07:29 AM

Default Backup software conflict

Backup, virus scanning etc is all overhead that comes with a price. Physics dictates how much read IOPS a disc can have, even SSD’s.

Having a “read intensive” piece of software running whilst your trying to use your PBA (purpose built appliance) is only going to cause more read utilization.

I Disable backup and backup discs while working. When I’m done for the night, I shut down all applications and fire up the disk, do a backup then eject the disc and power it off.

There are those that will argue disc failure. Statistics show that human error is now the leading cause of requiring backup vs disc failure. The ssds are fairly robust.

Again, it’s physics. Do the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 03-18-2021, 08:46 AM

Please, old friends, don't drag our reputation as advicers into the previous century here. One should eject volumes to ensure good operation!!!??? That is more superstition than solid advice IMHO. Not to put down Stevie in any way. BIG Rolleyes!
Old 03-18-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Please, old friends, don't drag our reputation as advicers into the previous century here. One should eject volumes to ensure good operation!!!??? That is more superstition than solid advice IMHO. Not to put down Stevie in any way. BIG Rolleyes!
If you're responding to me you're missing the point. That is you should never have the drive to which you backup online and powered when working; has nothing to do with performance. It has to do if something untoward happens you don't lose the backup drive as well as the working drive.

QAPLA!
Old 03-18-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I have no idea where you are getting that from, nobody mentioned performance.

You really don't want to keep your backup drive mounted except when making the backup or recovering something. Or else the same fat fingered things likely to cause loss of primary data can also damage your backup.

If a drive is (semi-)permanent physically attached at least unmounting/ejecting that drive protects against most idiot induced failures and maybe some other software/systems failures. Even better to use some removable drives and/or cloud backup as part of the backup plan that can be stored entirely separately to avoid computer loss/theft/fire etc taking out the primary and backup or something taking out the whole building. SSDs are remarkably reliable nowadays, stupid humans way less so, and things like computer power supplies and cooling fans.... I'd sure be thinking about them failing.... and I'd not want my backup say on a drive that was mounted when the computer took it's last gasp.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I have no idea where you are getting that from, nobody mentioned performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And never do a backup with PT or any other application running. Ideally you do NOT want your backup drive powered on and connected while working normally. Only when you want to make a backup.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:18 PM

Oops I misread operation and performance. There are **extremely good** reasons for not leaving volumes mounted, just explained in the posts above. Best practice with things like overnight backups for example are to have tools/scripts do backup, ideally check stuff/send email it's OK, then unmount the target volume.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:22 PM

I have my primary backup disk attached all the time.
It has CCC clones of my boot disk and secondary disk once every night, with snapshots.
I have a third disk that has clones also that I make manually as often as I feel is needed, and is stored next door, a fire-safe distance in my case.

I also keep my mac running all the time, I only restart if I have to, which is seldom.
I also haven't trashed preferences since moving from PT10 to 2020.