Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Re: PT HD Veteran on an LE Rig. I got\'s me some problems!

Thanks Chuck. I have already tried re-seating all the cards. Following your suggestion, I reset the PMU. The battery just installed when we got the computer.

Thanks for chiming in Digi.

After discovering that this problem is known to exist with the FW800 models, I bypassed the on-board firewire ports and I installed another firewire PCI card as per your suggestion. Interestingly, the results are still the same, with the usual error messages. This is the one I have installed: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...20PCI#overview

Regarding the OS and PT version, I've tried numerous combinations of a variety of versions. I have multiple copies of the OS and PT, so I tried as many combinations as possible, but all with the same results. Currently I have installed the latest compatible version of the OS and ProTools that I own, which is 7.1 running on OS 10.4.8.

And regarding the plug-ins themselves, let me say again that I have completely wiped the system clean and started from the ground up TIME AND TIME AGAIN. There are no additional plug-ins installed, nothing from third parties. Initially I DID have all my plug-ins installed, which is when I initially noticed the problem. Just as you suggested, I tried again with a clean system and only ProTools installed, nothing additional, no plug-ins. Same behavior still.

Different OS and PT versions, same behavior. Different FW card, same behavior. Reset the NRAM and PRAM, same behavior. Re-seated all cards, same behavior. Stood on one leg, rubbed my tummy, sang a chuck berry song, and ate a PB&J sandwich. Same behavior.

So really, what's going on here? Digi - I've owned several PT systems on numerous machines. I've spent a lot of money on your products (upwards of $200,000 personally) and I've remained loyal across the board, even when other DAW's have looked mighty tasty. Please don't tell me that I can't get a simple little 002 system going. Unless of course there's something severely wrong with my computer that is not an obvious issue.

I'm anxious to hear what you suggest!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Try another DAW with the G4 onboard audio as output. You can download a fully functional demo of Tracktion with demo sessions from the Mackie site (I think V3 runs on a G4). If it works OK with the onboard audio output, then try the 002 via coreaudio. Maybe get a better idea where the problem lies.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Re: the possibility that something's wrong with the computer, have you run Apple Hardware Test?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Avid

Quote:
This is the one I have installed: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...20PCI#overview

So really, what's going on here? !
It could be as simple as not having a compatible firewire card.

This page lists the ones we've tested - you should try one of these:

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...5&itemid=23112
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Please don't tell me that I can't get a simple little 002 system going. Unless of course there's something severely wrong with my computer that is not an obvious issue.
If it's not an incompatible firewire card, I think as other posters have suggested, it might be time to start looking at the computer as the culprit here. Some computer issues (bad RAM, bad CPUs) don't show up as 'obvious' problems, but cause random and 'odd' behavior that isn't as simple as "if it does X you have a bad Y" - as someone else suggested, run your Apple hardware test CD on the long test and see if it returns any problems.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 AM

FWIW, I have a 1.25Ghz Single MDD w/Digi002. When I first installed PTLE, I got constant errors, with 1 or 2 tracks and any plug ins. I came from a PC background and my PC's ran rings around this model Mac. On a whim, I reduced the color resolution from millions of colors to thousands of colors and was able to make the computer quite useful. I have been told on this forum that I was in error and this should not affect the performance, but it worked for me and going back to the original color scheme always resulted in 6085 errors. I'd at least give it a shot.

CA
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 PM

Alright guys, I'm coming back into town late tonight and I'll get some time to try a a few more things out based on your suggestions. I'll report on my findings asap. Thanks.