Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-03-2018, 03:42 AM

Default Field Recorder Workflow duplicating tracks

I am using the Field Recorder workflow for a project that was edited on Avid. I have one guide track in the AAF which is the 'location sound mixed track". When I make a selection on the guide track and use the Field Recording workflow, Pro-Tools successfully finds all the files -all the separate microphones- and imports them into Pro-Tools (makes new tracks). However, all of the newly imported tracks are duplicated over and over. So a track that should have been one single monophonic radio microphone is imported 8 times (8 different tracks) all containing the exact same sound file. May be I am missing a setting somewhere that would prevent this duplication of tracks?, or is this an issue with the metadata in the actual location sound recording or the Avid edit?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Field Recorder Workflow duplicating tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I am using the Field Recorder workflow for a project that was edited on Avid. I have one guide track in the AAF which is the 'location sound mixed track". When I make a selection on the guide track and use the Field Recording workflow, Pro-Tools successfully finds all the files -all the separate microphones- and imports them into Pro-Tools (makes new tracks). However, all of the newly imported tracks are duplicated over and over. So a track that should have been one single monophonic radio microphone is imported 8 times (8 different tracks) all containing the exact same sound file. May be I am missing a setting somewhere that would prevent this duplication of tracks?, or is this an issue with the metadata in the actual location sound recording or the Avid edit?
I posted this 5 years ago. Still waiting for a fix for this. I wish AVID would sometimes understand better how such small changes save hours, weeks, months of work.

https://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd...a-tab-comments
Old 05-03-2018, 04:05 AM

Thank you, this is ridiculous, it will take me at least 2 weeks to try to sort out this mess. So there is nothing I can do to prevent this un-necessary duplication?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 AM

The workaround is to ADD not COPY all of your sound rolls (field recorder files) into the session. Put them in the clip list not tracks. Then, when doing the search, don’t select any other drives or folders. ProTools will search the session for the matching files and add them accordingly. This should work. Has worked for me in the past.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
The workaround is to ADD not COPY all of your sound rolls (field recorder files) into the session. Put them in the clip list not tracks. Then, when doing the search, don’t select any other drives or folders. ProTools will search the session for the matching files and add them accordingly. This should work. Has worked for me in the past.
Unfortunately that won't help as the AVID media that is already in the session from the AAF will be matched and put on tracks again.

To avoid the mess some people manually remove the AVID media or take it online (by temporarily renaming the avid media folder) and then do the expand, clean up and bring the avid media back online for reference.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:34 AM

I am resurrecting this as I stumbled to this problem I haven't had before:

I've added (not copied) the rushes in the clip list
I've taken the audio files folder "offline:

I am getting a message saying:

"Could not create new tracks because there are no matching channels"

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2020, 12:42 PM

I gave up on the field recorder workflow and started using Kraken. I can't say enough great things about it. Not just for assembly, but finding alts in a snap, creating a picture cut list with clip groups, and more! I suggest checking it out.
http://krakensoftware.co.uk

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system

Last edited by Ryan Young; 06-25-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 PM
Sounds In Sync

Unfortunately there's a lot of instances where the field recorder workflow either won't find the correct material or it will find duplicates. This is why I created a workflow with EdiLoad to not only "clean" the edit that the editor has provided, but also provide the metadata that is required to Pro Tools so that the field recorder workflow works. The video in the following blog post runs through the advantages of using EdiLoad, and steps you through the process:

https://www.soundsinsync.com/blog/co...-and-pro-tools

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 06-26-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
I gave up on the field recorder workflow and started using Kraken. I can't say enough great things about it. Not just for assembly, but finding alts in a snap, creating a picture cut list with clip groups, and more! I suggest checking it out.
http://krakensoftware.co.uk
It is indeed. Marc (the developer, I think he has chimed in here as well) has done a genuinely brilliant job!!

I used it in somebody else rig but now it's high time I get it for myself.

I am running the demo as I am typing this and familiarizing through all the features. Great price as well!