Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 AM

Unhappy PT MP 8.01 crashes on launch when logged in as a network user

Hey all,

I've scoured the web for possible solutions to this but have so far had no luck.

I work in a university where we have a network of around 100 Apple Macs, with users logging in to their accounts which are on a server. This is essential for security and management of their accounts for example, when a student is banned due to late return of equipment etc. Their home areas are all on the server too so they can access their files wherever they log in.

We currently use Logic Pro 9 on some of these machines, particularly in a multitrack studio and individual 'Audio Production Suites' and don't have issues with this setup, as we instruct students to save and load projects on a folder on a hard disk physically attached to the Mac they're on (either Firewire or internal via SATA). This works great and students can use their home areas as a place to back up their projects so that they can get to them when they log in different machines.

With Pro Tools M-Powered in one of these rooms, along with the M-Audio NRV10 mixer/interface, I am unable to launch Pro Tools without it crashing, ONLY when logged in as a network user. I have tried it on more than one account, both existing and newly created. When logging in to a local account on the machine itself, Pro Tools launches and runs perfectly, even on a non-administrator account.

So that's the gist of it, and I'm wondering if anyone here works in a similar situation whereby users are required to log in to network accounts and use Pro Tools. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information that may prove helpful for diagnosis.

FYI - I have already tried all the steps outlined in the Setup Guide (disabling Firewire networking, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, trashing preferences, trashing the database, repairing disk permissions) to no avail.

Warm regards,

Neil.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Default Re: PT MP 8.01 crashes on launch when logged in as a network user

Hello Neil

Are you still having these problems?

I work in a post house and i have 8 macs connected to an 120 TB XSAN, i have 2 meta data controllers and an open directory master with an IP failover as a second OD head.
Each user connects to the OD via the network so i do not have local accounts apart from an admin account on each machine.

The fibre switches are QLogic and the XSAN is version 2. The backend storage is Nexsan SATABeast machine with a SATAboy as a metadata storage pool.

I am having issues with Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 and .3 when connected to the server as a network user. I have 3Ghz quad core machines with the fibre connected XSAN and an internal SATA drive. When i boot PT is just quits with an unexpected error. I have logged in as the admin user and PT boots ok but i get hardware errors when running one of the new PT 8 guitar templates so it only runs for about 5 seconds. I am running at 1024 samples and it still errors.

I am saving my sessions in the network document folder, i haven't tried recording to either the fibre connected SAN or the internal SATA drive although when i log in as a network user it wont even boot let alone run any audio.

I am running 003 racks with a mixture of pro tools 8.0.1 and .3, also a mix of Dual and quad core 3Ghz intel macs, OS 10.5.7, Server and MDC's running the same OS.

Thanks

Stuart

Mac Intel 2.93Ghz 12 core - 64gb RAM - OS 10.12 - PT 12 HD Native - Lynx Aurora 16 - Lynx Aurora 8 - UAD Quad - Logic, VEP 6
_____

Spark moderator & beta test for Arturia
Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 AM

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply on this. Unfortunately we're no longer using Pro Tools here and the problem was never solved.

Regards,

Neil.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think i have a resolve.

Are you now using logic again. Probably a wise move : )

Thanks

Mac Intel 2.93Ghz 12 core - 64gb RAM - OS 10.12 - PT 12 HD Native - Lynx Aurora 16 - Lynx Aurora 8 - UAD Quad - Logic, VEP 6
_____

Spark moderator & beta test for Arturia