Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Default Why is backup to cloud option disabled for project already in the cloud?

I have a project that's in the cloud but I've been having trouble with it so I'd like to store it locally. I just watched this video and it says to do this you need to uncheck the Backup to Cloud option but this is selected and greyed out. I can't unselect it. Any ideas on how I can do this?

This is PT First on PC.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Why is backup to cloud option disabled for project already in the cloud?

I have the same problem and I'm using Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12.

The reference manual makes it seem like you can simply check or uncheck this option, at will, to clear whatever you may have in cloud storage for a given project.

If it worked correctly, this would be an intelligent and fair way to consolidate your cloud copy of the session, but as of now, it appears that it doesn't work correctly, and currently follows that: even if you remove an audio file from a local session, the cloud keeps everything you previous uploaded. This will cause inflation of the cloud copy. This is typical Avid behavior to lead you to purchase additional cloud storage.

What I've found so far is that if you check "backup to cloud" when you first create the session, you cannot uncheck it later. But if you don't check it initially, you can then toggle it later. This is either dumb programming, a bug, or a subtly the reference manual intentionally leaves out. And although this distinction solves part of the problem, there are much deeper issues if you read on...

I also tested that if an upload times out (which happens a lot) and you have cancel / restart it, it still counts whatever it had uploaded the first go around as cloud space, and then adds onto that with your retry of the upload, eating additional space, instead of deleting and/or replacing the failed upload like it should.

There are a few other serious anomalies that effectively accelerate the unnecessary use of cloud space...

The first of which I noticed: if one uploads everything in a session, saves it, closes and reopen the session later, then makes a non-waveform related change to a track, when you click the green upload arrow for that track, it will sometimes force a reupload the physical wav file, instead of just posting the simple entity you changed.

Another terrible aspect is that if you freeze tracks, upload them, then unfreeze and adjust any mute, pan, volume, or other non-waveform related entities, then freeze it again, and reupload, the upload will not replace the previous iteration. It will see it as an entirely new file.
This could be solved easily if Avid were to add coding that scans for like files names when uploading frozen tracks, and if it finds any, prompts the user whether to "replace like file name on cloud" or "add as new file name to cloud copy." But they'll never do this.

Something else I noticed is that even after all uploads are complete when the session is open, if I close the session, it randomly brings up the status manager and shows that it's uploading new revisions. This makes no sense, since all uploading was already completed while inside the session, as verified by checking the task manager at that time. When I left the session, my cloud usage was 42%. When I reopened it later, it had jumped to 48%, but because that random upload didn't complete, it think it needs to start all over again. This is yet another horrible anomaly that eats away at cloud storage space almost unnecessarily.

I only recently started playing with the Cloud Collab feature, since, in theory, it would be a great way to work with some of my clients. I was very skeptical even before I started playing with it and reading all the horrible feedback about it online. As of now, this feature of Pro Tools is not a viable solution for professionals.