Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Re: About 24-192 and MAximum tracks.

Hi!
Bodie:
OK- first, sorry about my wording- the reference about "Only HD Core" is in regard to the PCIe HD Core card that is an Accel Core, not a "vanilla" HD Core like we have. All Mac and XP users can use Accel cards in addition to the HD Core.

Next: Yeah, certain plugins that are Accel only, and higher track/voice) counts for each sample/bit rate. It is listed in the Reference Guide, close to the beginning I believe.

Lastly, interfaces. <sigh> This is one of the most easily misunderstood areas, especially due to wording used. I will make it VERY simple:
Any I/O unit you use with an HD1, HD2, or greater system is ONLY capable of streaming 16 channels simultaneously.

As an example: you have an HD3 Accel system, and a Digi 192. You will be able to have 16 channels sending audio in, and then 16 channels sending audio out at the same time. Period.

Now, WHAT FEEDS those 16 channels in and 16 channels out is where things get interesting, and quite flexable. With a stock 192 I/O, you have 8 analogue in (+4 and -10, selectable in Pro Tools), and 8 analogue out. There is a digital card that can do 8 channels in and out of Litepipe, TDIF, and AES/EBU, as well as an additional "on board" 8 in/out litepipe, and 2 more channels or AES/EBU or SP/DIF. With Pro Tools launched, all you do is enter Hardware setup, and then configure WHICH inputs are active, and with which of the 16 available channels internally they are routed to. Then you select which of the outputs you want assigned to which of the 16 available output channels in the software. Make sense?

With a 192 I/O, you can add one more card: an 8 Analogue in, 8 Analogue out, OR a DIgital I/O card with 8 channels of Litepipe, TDIF and AES/EBU, in AND out. This does NOT allow any more than the 16 channels of simultaneous I/O for a single 192 interface; it simply gives you more I/O CHOICES to pick from to assign to those 16 I/O channels. Cool?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.