Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Default guitar rig levels in protools

Hi. Im using guitar rig as a plug in in pro tools 10….im using a mono audio track, and i cant figure out where do i set the volume levels so that the guitar wont clip on the meter in the track in pro tools…..even if i turn the gain all the way down on my m box, and even if i set in and out levels down all the way in guitar rig on the virtual amp, any time i strum a note on my guitar, the meter on the pro tools track clips….where should i adjust my volume so that when i strum the guitar, it is at the right level?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Default Re: guitar rig levels in protools

I want to be able to have the gain up on my mbox, cuz i want a distorted sound ….just want the input level into the protools track to be low enough not to clip
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Are you plugged into a mic input using line level feed? Which MBox? Have you tried plugging into the line inputs? Also in Guitar Rig If you go to the STOMP view there is an input and output knob at the bottom left and right...

However If you are turning your MBox all the way down and your meter is still quite hot (loud) I assume you are feeding a mic input with a line level source...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

What exact model Mbox do you have?

What guitar and exact pickups? Any pedals between the guitar and Mbox? Exactly what ones, in order...

The guitar is plugged in using a standard guitar/instrument cable into an input on the Mbox (which one?) and any corresponding input selector is set to "DI" (direct input) and the corresponding Preamp/DI gain knob on the Mbox is turned to a reasonable level--double check you are plugged into the correct DI input and are adjusting the correct gain knob for that jnput.)

If you are using a TS to XLR cable you are likely just hitting the mic preamp on interfaces with combo TRS/XLR connectors. You should normally be using a standard guitar/instrument TS to TS cable. Exact model of Mbox and further description will help here.

Darryl
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwudel View Post
I want to be able to have the gain up on my mbox, cuz i want a distorted sound ….just want the input level into the protools track to be low enough not to clip
BTW you do not want to adjust the gain of the DI input to control distortion. Start by setting that at set a reasonable level to record a nice dry signal... which will sound very quiet without an amp plugin. No reason to run this hard up against the input. Most amp sim plugins should have enough gain/distortion capability with a reasonable input signal. If not you might want to change amp sims. Do some tweaking with the Mbox gain knob, and amp sim gain/distortion settings once you gave things starting to sound OK.

If you are hitting the Mbox with a hot active pickup or boost pedal etc. You may need to significantly turn down the level to avoid clipping even if going into the proper DI input.

And this would not be the first time somebody is unhappy with an amp sim behavior, when the sim is of a pretty clean high headroom amp behaving pretty much like it should.

What exact amp sims and settings are you using, a screenshot of the amp sim plugin settings will help folks help here.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Start by setting that at set a reasonable level to record a nice dry signal... which will sound very quiet without an amp plugin.
A number value of that would be -8db and that's peaking at up to -8db

nominal signal round -10 would be considered a good signal

Then worry about the plug
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.