Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2021, 09:15 PM

Default 'Right to repair' movement is growing - see Apple computers

"Apple and others design products with shorter lifespans":

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...alia/100283348

"Australia is lagging behind much of the world.

The United Kingdom has introduced right to repair rules that legally require companies to make spare parts available, and United States President Joe Biden recently signed an executive order directing the Federal Trade Commission to draft new regulations that would give consumers more rights to repair products independently."
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 07-10-2021, 04:35 AM

Default Re: 'Right to repair' movement is growing - see Apple computers

Read an article yesterday that Woz has come out in favor of right to repair. Smart guy.

QAPLA!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:05 AM

My favourite “repairman” is a good friend (& genius!) from Norway, who invented a mining drill bit capable of extracting core samples which contained multiple readings (at varying depths).
Prior to his invention, separate drilling was required - one for each depth. He was granted a small royalty on each and every drilling “find” …

He could go “outback” (to remote Australia) doing geological surveys for weeks at a time - and instead of logging his readings daily, would remember them all – and wait until he got back, before writing up the lot in one go!

Yet – when it came to delicately repairing his wife’s kitchen food processor (the lid was stuck), I nearly wet my pants when he gently “nudged” it with a hammer and smashed the whole thing to smithereens … yet he was so gentle with animals and children – always hosting huge Birthday parties for all his kids and their friends …

… a "top bloke"!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-10-2021 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Pedant’s “better Inglish”
Old 07-11-2021, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Read an article yesterday that Woz has come out in favor of right to repair. Smart guy.
Steve Wozniak speaks on Right to Repair
“Is it your computer?
Or is it some company’s computer?”

https://youtu.be/CN1djPMooVY

Electronics right to repair - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ight_to_repair
Old 07-11-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Steve Wozniak speaks on Right to Repair
“Is it your computer?
Or is it some company’s computer?”

https://youtu.be/CN1djPMooVY

Electronics right to repair - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ight_to_repair
This is not as Black and White as you seem to think …. And whats the issue really? You CAN repair stuff if you know some guy or have a slight knowledge of how stuff works. Honestly here in europe we have had something similar for the past 20 yeqrs and we never had an issue with repairs if there was a monetary motivated repair.

And you meant Woz rambles for 9 minutes and says 3 sentences about that plight the last 20 seconds LOL

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-12-2021, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
This is not as Black and White as you seem to think …. And whats the issue really? You CAN repair stuff if you know some guy or have a slight knowledge of how stuff works. Honestly here in europe we have had something similar for the past 20 yeqrs and we never had an issue with repairs if there was a monetary motivated repair.

And you meant Woz rambles for 9 minutes and says 3 sentences about that plight the last 20 seconds LOL
I think you're missing something. While it's been possible to repair your own stuff at least for Apple it's been difficult to do so in getting Apple approved parts. Of course you can go off-brand but then you risk losing warranty coverage. Same goes for going to a non-approved repair center IF you want to keep warranty coverage.

Apple really started this with the toaster-style 1984-ish Mac 128K boxes and the then weird Torx head screws. They were recessed so deep you need a special extra long driver to get to them. Enterprising individuals figured out you could get them out with a standard Philips head driver but that messed up the screwheads. Said screws then got replaced by Philips head screws.

QAPLA!
Old 07-12-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I think you're missing something. While it's been possible to repair your own stuff at least for Apple it's been difficult to do so in getting Apple approved parts.
Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
This is not as Black and White as you seem to think …. And whats the issue really? You CAN repair stuff if you know some guy or have a slight knowledge of how stuff works.

It is absolutely black and white from my experience. I replaced my ageing 2012 MacBook Pro in 2018 with a brand new shiny 15" model, and the difference in repairability is night and day. Over the course of the 2012 model, I swapped out hard drives, replaced ram, replaced the battery, replaced a smashed screen and the bevel. Parts were available and it could be fixed.

My 2018 MacBook Pro can't do any of that. It is protected by a T2 chip that requires proprietary diagnostic software, otherwise it rejects replacement parts. Even then, the number of parts actually replaceable in it is tiny. The battery is glued in. The ram and hard drive are soldered to the motherboard. I accidentally smashed the screen on it in March. If it weren't for AppleCare I would have been out $1200 for a new screen... plus $2600 for a new logic board because they also diagnosed a fault in one of the ram chips.

New Apple computers are so irreparable that when Apple handed me my computer back after repair, the only component in it that came from my original MacBook Pro was the bottom metal cover. That is hugely problematic, both from an ecological standpoint, and as a bonafide Mac user. Apple obviously don't insurance their new computers beyond the third year for a reason...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:47 PM

Everything is getting more difficult to repair. New vehicles are ridiculously complicated now..

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-15-2021, 01:35 AM

Well if that is the case then why do we keep buying Apple products? Not trying to be an A-hole but we all know how Apple stuff can hardly be fixed and we still pay obscene money for them and complain after the fact! Maybe I am missing something …

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————