Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM

Default Good Affordable Metal head

Looking for an affordable Metal Head to hold me over till I can get a Mesa Head. I am going to be running through a Mesa 2x12 Roadster Cab and the two heads I had in mind to get where the Bugera 6262 and the Bugera 333XL where said on the reviews to sound close to thier Mesa counter parts for a third of the price but less reliable (but I wont be keeping this head forever so as long as it lasts me till I get the Mesa Dual or Trip). I saw a video where the 6262 sounds amazing on youtube done by Feardse (check him out if you haven't) But most reviews on the 333XL are just people showing off solos wich doesnt help me since I am looking for a good rythem distortion head. Any input on those two heads would be great and alternate suggestions for heads that handle low distortion well.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Good Affordable Metal head

I should mention I am using a drop tuned 7-string guitar if that helps any. It seems that most people push for the 333XL, but then some say get the 6262 for that low distortion and it REQUIRES a noise gate wheras the 333XL will not, but not be as much crunch. From reviews I lean twords the 333XL, but since Feardse made a video with the 6262 sounding amazing that makes me think more to the 6262. the problem being I have not been able to hear the 333XL do rythm Metal to compair against. And these heads will be used for recording so clean is important,but im not afraid to buy a noise gate. Any imput to help clarify if the review stating the 333XL can do what the 6262 does and more is true would be great for I am once again stuck at a location where none of my music stores have these items on display.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM

I got an answer for ya.....get yourself the Eleven Rack...sounds great live, and is PERFECT for recording, since it is a Pro Tools interface too!

Check out this thread from the elevenrackpresets forum to hear some wicked metal tones from the Eleven Rack....

http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/for...=7404#Post7404

http://clinesmind.net/fr_media.cfm

And if you MUST go with a tube amp, you can get a Peavey 5150 or 6505 fairly cheap, and they sound KILLER, IMO.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakui View Post
Looking for an affordable Metal Head
Mike Font is pretty cheap & the only Metal Head that I can fully recommend at this time...... or maybe AdamQ.......Lol
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
Mike Font is pretty cheap & the only Metal Head that I can fully recommend at this time...... or maybe AdamQ.......Lol

LOL...you wouldn't believe how cheap I really am too!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM

I've never owned a Bugera but Behringer in general is not incredibly original or especially well built. If you're digging the '6260' you probably owe it to yourself to try the amp that it copies; Peavey 5150 (6505).

But, if you're only using it for recording, there are software solutions and also DSP based hardware solutions such as Eleven Rack which has been suggested here. It's also the main subject of this forum.

It really comes down to what you need and how much you're willing to spend.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM

I had the Bugera 6???. To me it was just like my 5150 (or close) I had about 10 years back. Great amp and I never had any problems, but it is a little noisey and loud as F&%^. I sould it because it was lound as F&%^. The 5150 was better for me because I had the 60 watt combo which was still loud as F&%^ but not quite as loud as F&%^.

Did I mention that these were loud as F&%^.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Yah I saw that eleven rack, in that case how would you rate Eleven to the Axe FX. Totally forgot about those and may just pour my cash into one of those instead of a Mesa head.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 AM

I do own a Mesa Engineering Dual Rectifier Solo Head (3 channel). And I can tell you that the Eleven compares quite well against it. In fact I'm using the Rectifier as a power amp to the eleven (when I want to crank the volume more than what my 60W studio monitors can deliver).

I'm thinking about selling my Rectifier and buy a rocktron velocity 300 or an art sla-2 or something like that.

But if you need a Tube Head check out Jet City JCA100H, Carvin v3 or Blackheart BH100H
Old 05-04-2011, 09:58 AM

I may end up getting the eleven rack instead since I can get a new one fairly cheep. I just going to look up some youtube videos when I get off work to see how it sounds for rythm Metal. So if you know any videos or links I should check out for when I get home it would be easier if anyone can post thier favorites and of course i will check out the ones on this site too.
Thanks agin for bringing up that option it totally sliped my mind.

(I believe I found my answer to that and it seems it is a decent bass head also, last question is when recording with the eleven rack should I just go straight into protools or mic a cab?)

Last edited by Drakui; 05-04-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Adding additional question and letting know I found answer for last question.