Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-04-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Any way to automatically create a project structure from a text file?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way for me to create a PT session that already has a folder and bus structure, based on a text file where there is a description of the folder/bus layout, and a listing of audio files and where they belong in the structure.

That way you could go from a large set of audio files, where you have a layout in mind, and voila - the session is built automatically.

I don't suppose there is some lesser known scripting engine (like what Reaper has)?

thanks,
Brian
Old 02-04-2021, 11:19 AM

Default Re: ANy way to automatically create a project structure from a text file?

Session Templates and Track Presets are the 2 tools that cover your needs. Check out youtube for tutorials on how those 2 features work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-04-2021, 11:40 AM

Default Re: ANy way to automatically create a project structure from a text file?

Hi, I am not sure templates are what I am after. What I am trying to do is more like automatic generation of templates on the fly, versus loading some template, adjusting to fit the given tracks. Or maybe PT templates are more sophisticated?

Will read more about them.

thanks,
Brian
Old 02-07-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Any way to automatically create a project structure from a text file?

What you specifically describe is not available, so I still think Session Templates and Track Presets are the solution. Be aware of some aspects that aren't immediately visible. Examples:
1-A "Track Preset" can actually be several tracks(when called up in the New Track window). For instance, my drums track preset actually has 12 audio tracks, 3 AUX tracks and a VCA track, with all my usual plugins in place(high-latency plugins are inactive) as well as all 6 headphone sends for my studio's headphone system.
2-A track preset(as a single track) can be called up as a plugin on an existing track. So if I have a vocal track with no plugins or sends, I can call up my vocal track preset in the top insert and this existing vocal track will instantly have all my "go to" plugins and sends.

How well this stuff works depends on how you want to implement it all. If you have a session and just want to "add your magic" to it, then #2 is well suited. Session Templates are ideal for a great starting point, or for importing audio from another session(or another DAW). Whenever I record a multi-song project with a band, as soon as the first song session has everyone happy with their headphone mixes, I immediately save that as a Session Template(without media) for that band and create from that template for the rest of the songs(and the template might get updated as the day progresses). Even if none of this exactly hits the target for you, maybe it will give you ideas on how to modify to suit your needs. Hope something here helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave