Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Virus Indigo TDM questions

I got my iLok + Virus Indigo TDM yesterday and after some "fighting", I finally managed to get the iLok registered and installed with the Indigo TDM. My Protools rig is not internet online (I hope this wont be a problem with the iLok later?). The Indigo installer removed the old Virus TDM plug-in... Would it work having the old Virus installed as well as the Indigo?... or would this make problems?... My first thoughts would be

1: Does the Indigo have new algorythms compared to the old TDM (Like Nord Lead 2 vs 3?... NL2 have different sound than the NL3.. I choosed to keep the NL2).

2: Does the Indigo use more power?.. in that case it could in some situations be "smart" to also have the old Virus installed.

3: I know this has been posted a 1000 times, but I want to twist the question and ask... is there any chance that we EVER will see a better preset selecting method in the Virus Indigo?... Selecting sounds from MIDI would be a MUST HAVE... I´m on a MIX system running PT5.1.1 and are a bit worried about further Virus support in Protools only to be for OSX (or worse.... HD!)... Digidesign???

4: uhm .... can I remove the GSM card from the iLok that was included with the Indigo after I authorized the iLok?....

5: I also read a review of the Indigo TDM vs hardware synth where the (sonicstate) could hear differences in the TDM vs hardware... (my impressions where that they sounded identical, tdm better because of better DA converters)...

http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=56

Many stupid questions?... yeah, i know!...

DigiDAW.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Virus Indigo TDM questions

Digidaw,

For a feature comparison of the virus hardware and software models, check out:
Virus Model Comparison Chart

Yes, you can remove the GSM card once you have authorized the plug-in. During the authorization process, the authorization is moved to the iLok.

Mark
Old 03-15-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Virus Indigo TDM questions

In regards to your better preset slection, please email digidesign regarding this matter. perhaps if more users inquire about it, digi will perhaps make more of an effort to fix it. I really want to know why they can't add a "+/-" button for patch selection. So many other plugin synths utilize this feature. Is it really that big of a deal????? I having a feeling the new waldorf will utilize the archaic way of patch selection.

The current patch selection process really slows me down. It's soooooooo tedious having to go through menus to demo a patch. I confronted a representative from digidesign at NAMM and they pointed their finger over to the ACCESS booth and told me to ask access about it. After I got to the ACCESS both, some german guy pointed his finger for me to go back to digidesign. He stated that digidesign develops the plugin so it would be more appropriate to ask digi. virus/indigo tdm users, please unite.

ON top of a faster patch selection, it would also be nice to make the sound selection parameter become assignable to external midi controllers. This way, my usb midi keyboard will be able to dial through patches much the same way as the hardware counterparts.

my 2 cents