How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Default MIDI ghost in Pro Tools

Dear members,

seems like i've got a MIDI ghost in my PT. Yesterday i made a project, i have 1 Instrument track with Xpand2 loaded. I've recorded a simple 2 bar loop with my midi keyboard. I saved the project and today when i opened it plays a chord that isn't even there. I deleted all regions from the track AND region list, but the sound still keeps playing even though there aren't any regions.

It seems like it plays a chord from another region from another track. How is this possible, what can i do to make it go away? Thanks

http://f.cl.ly/items/0F051d3x3R3L2c2...55.03%20PM.png
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM

U might want to check in the midi editor screen - it may be way high or way low notes -

Take the xpand insert off the instrument track and play back the section of audio - u should se midi action if there is something there

Reinsert xpand - what happens ??

Create another instrument track - insert xpand ? What happened ??

If Push comes to shove - delete the first and go with the second - process of elimination kind of deal !!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Default Re: MIDI ghost in Pro Tools

First of all, thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
U might want to check in the midi editor screen - it may be way high or way low notes -
Normally you would do this by double clicking a region, but since there are no regions on the track at all, i can't do this. To be sure i've selected the notes view on the track, but there were none.

Quote:
Take the xpand insert off the instrument track and play back the section of audio - u should se midi action if there is something there
So i did, absolutely no midi action strangely but you actually can hear the chords.

Quote:
Reinsert xpand - what happens ??
No mather what plugin i reinsert, Xpand, mini grand or Vacuum, the chords are still playing.

Quote:
Create another instrument track - insert xpand ? What happened ??
If i do this, everything works normal, just like expected :)

Quote:
If Push comes to shove - delete the first and go with the second - process of elimination kind of deal !!!
I definitely will, i'm just curious about the cause so i can prevent it in the future. It's kind of strange issue might be a bug, or just a simple mistake that i'm overseeing at the moment.

ps. I've created a new MIDI track with Xpand inserted beneath the GHOST MIDI track and opened up the mixer. I've compared everything, outputs, inputs but could find anything.

EDIT:
I just noticed something! On MIDI track 7 (Inst 7) i have a region with those exact chords that i was hearing. If i delete the region, the ghost sounds also disappear....that means that the Ghost midi track HAS TO BE linked/routed/connected to MIDI track 7 in some way because it's playing its notes.

http://f.cl.ly/items/36413n1p0p081F3...10.47%20PM.png
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM

U should be able to toggle back to the midi editor with the control +\- key right

Glad u found it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 AM

I had same problem. Try to duplicate the track with ghost notes and then delete the original one. Does the new track sound good ? This makes me nervous, as I suspect something is going wrong under the hood....Actually when I have these kinds of problem, I experiment also PT hangups
Regards
Old 05-20-2012, 12:06 PM

I have a similar issue i play midi to Xpand2 and it sounds good as it goes down then on playback some notes do not play (I see them) and others are lacking sustain. Sounds like poooo???? I have changed my settings to 3 Cpu's 1028 on the buffer and looked at the midi editor....? no issues there ao what is going on?
Further i change to grand pno plugin and same or some time not same notes doing the ghost thing..I see midi on playback in the ins. area of the track but sound does not match. I AM STUCK NO WORK FOR US TILL WE GET THIS SORTED ...any ideas?
Thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 PM

OK now i have tryed the db33 on the same trk and get what sounds like someone tapping knuckles on a wood box???? ouch what s this doing????
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM

This is getting weard I retracked a clip using db33 as the sound souce and got a oK recording in midi whan I pluc=ged in the grand pno in to that midi track it sounds like the attack is off as in the WHO almost??? I think the Xpand is trashed and so might be the other AVID plugins plz if you have a clue let me know.....
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Is it possible that you have something previously recorded on an alternative playlist? This will happen sometimes when a track is empty but there is a completed track on the playlist that is hidden because you started a new playlist.