Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Waves Surround Bundle vs M6OOO....

Hi,

I'm looking at a solution to integrate surround management, downmix and loudness issues into my PT monitor 5.1 path.
I actually own a M6000 which I use for the unwrap license and I was considering buying the other license (2400€)...but for the same price I can get the Waves 360 bundle which I can use entirely in PT....
Which one do you guys use ?
For downmixing, calibration check, comp and limit, which do you prefer ?

Thanks,
A.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Waves Surround Bundle vs M6OOO....

Hi A,

Here is a post I put up a while ago addressing the same question

OK, Basically in PT you can do a Surround Mix with basic plug-ins but that means running individual Aux tracks for all your speakers. Which kind of sucks. Instead of running let's say 5 compressors you can slap one on your Master track and adjust the level individually through the one plug-in. You also have the options to link channels. for example L,C and R.

The Reverb is especially helpful. You can do a Wet/Dry mix between the Front and Rear speakers. So for true room tone you might have a slight reflection and assign a pre-dealy so it sounds like the dialogue is actually taking place in a specific room. i.e Stone,Wood etc. You can do this by setting up an 5.1 Aux Track just for Dialogue then feeding that directly to your Master

Quote:

What is it that the WAVES 360 Surround Tools Bundle has that ProTools doesn't?

Basically everything.

First you can use it to set up your system which is a must.

Surround Compressor
Surround Limiter
LFE 360 Low Pass Filter
Mixdown Options i.e. 5.1 to Stereo
Mix Manager
360 Reverb.
360 Panner
There's much more but the best thing is to go to the Waves site and see what it includes.

Check it out.

All the best,
Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM

Mitch I agree.

Recreating an M360 Surround Manager w/auxes, trims, time adjusters, and sends is painful.

The S360 Imager/Panner is totally flexible and does things you can't do w/the regular XY "box" panner.

The R360 Reverb sounds great, and you can always add an IR-360. Also, Sony is supposed to be coming out w/a surround version of their Oxford reverb soon.

The C360 compressor and L360 limiter will get the surround mixes louder than you'll ever need them if sonic degradation after all that hard work is your thing....

The downmixer is perfect for checking the film mix to see what it's gonna sound like in that $3 movie theater w/no rear speakers. Options:
Mono
Stereo
Stereo wide
LCR
LCR wide
LCRS
LCRS S-3dB
I think.....and some others, too.

My only nit-picky gripe is the metering is a little small.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:43 AM

I would definitely get the 360 bundle for monitoring chores. I would hate to tie up an M6000 just for that. It's indispensable for doing the things it does. You'll find the other components of the Waves bundle very useful as well, as others in this thread have pointed out. With both, you'll have a lot of bases covered.