Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Avid

Default Re: Memory leak with EuControl on Win7 x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I'm still waiting for a reply from Euphonix about this, it's been nearly 3 weeks since I emailed tech support with screen shots and details.

It really is very poor service

MC
Our apologies - there has been a huge influx of cases since the Windows release and we're working on getting through the backlog. You should hopefully get a reply today, but it will basically be the same thing as what I said in this thread - we're still investigating.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Sounds like you guys are busy, but any chance of a timeline on when a fix might be released for this?

If it's not going to be for some time, we would probably uninstall EuControl from all 9 of our workstations until a patch/update comes out. Memory is at a premium as it is under 32bit PT9.

Cheers
Chad

Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYork View Post
Sounds like you guys are busy, but any chance of a timeline on when a fix might be released for this?

If it's not going to be for some time, we would probably uninstall EuControl from all 9 of our workstations until a patch/update comes out. Memory is at a premium as it is under 32bit PT9.

Cheers
Chad
Yes, it would be nice to know if this fix is coming soon.

MAC- OSX - 10.10.5 - MOTU828MKII - ProTools9
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam H View Post
Hi All,

After another post in the Steinberg forums mentioned the possibility of this - I had a look in task manager after working for a few hours today. Sure enough EuControl was using 1.07GB of memory after just 3 hours.

When I reboot - it starts off using about 30mb (which seems more like it!) - but then it creeps up. I didn't really get into trouble as I have 12gb and its running in 64bit address space - but if this issue exists on a 32bit system or I leave mine open a couple of days then there will be issues! And any GB of memory that is wasted cant be used for important stuff like loading more instruments if you are into that way of working....

Any DTS crew seen or know of this??

Cheers

Sam
Give it time guys. You can't put code in a microwave for the "quick minute" and expect it to work. DTS is a good guy and he is trying to get you guys info. Trust me Avid will get it fixed.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM

time? well the reason us PC chaps are a little irked about this is:

we've waited 3 years for this software already.........so when it did finally arrive you'd have thought they'd have done a better job. I found this problem within 2 days of buying and using my units,what were the Beta testers doing for 3 years?

also bear in mind the system 5 controllers worked from the word go with Eucon and windows so what was the wait?

MC
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
time? well the reason us PC chaps are a little irked about this is:

we've waited 3 years for this software already.........so when it did finally arrive you'd have thought they'd have done a better job. I found this problem within 2 days of buying and using my units,what were the Beta testers doing for 3 years?

also bear in mind the system 5 controllers worked from the word go with Eucon and windows so what was the wait?

MC
Yes and that was also before Avid aquired Euphonix. All first gen stuff will have quirks, but you can just snap your fingers with hundreds if not thousands of lines of code. I'm sorry you are having problems, but threatening isn't going to help, unless you can write code and help them out. I had gotten Vista, and at first it was buggy. And then Microsoft fixed it with the service pack. And then Windows 7 comes out. So yes it is frustrating, but don't get mad at Avid. It wasn't their fault, and they are doing the best they could.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 AM

I'm not threatening anyone , just stating some obvious facts about the situation.

I'm very pleased AVID have aquired euphonix and I'm not getting mad at AVID I'm trying to get mad at Euphonix as over the past 3 years they've not even bothered to reply to my questions about when PC support was coming. Why 3 years ago I could go out and purchase a fully functional control 5 surface and plug it into my Nuendo PC machine with eucon and it would work fine.

My suspicions were that they'd done a deal with Apple,which is fine as long as they were honest about it.

'Dear PC user we have a done a 3 exclusive deal with Apple so we cannot give you drivers untill then'

that's honest communication, I might not like their choice but I know where i stand and how long i will need to wait, just ignoring a potential customer is rude.

after discovering this issue when the drivers did come out Euphonix took 4 weeks to reply to me, i had to come over here and register to get any kind of acknowledgement,and that was from AVID.

as AVID now own euphonix they need to know from the end users that Euphonix as a company are shockingly bad at communication and do something about it.

As I've already said, I was very pleased when AVID took over as I knew things would get a lot better for us PC users, so I'd like to thank AVID for that and hope things can continue to move forwards.

Marcus
www.norburybrookstudios.com
Old 03-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Avid

Quote:
I'm not threatening anyone , just stating some obvious facts about the situation.

I'm very pleased AVID have aquired euphonix and I'm not getting mad at AVID I'm trying to get mad at Euphonix as over the past 3 years they've not even bothered to reply to my questions about when PC support was coming. Why 3 years ago I could go out and purchase a fully functional control 5 surface and plug it into my Nuendo PC machine with eucon and it would work fine.

My suspicions were that they'd done a deal with Apple,which is fine as long as they were honest about it.

'Dear PC user we have a done a 3 exclusive deal with Apple so we cannot give you drivers untill then'

that's honest communication, I might not like their choice but I know where i stand and how long i will need to wait, just ignoring a potential customer is rude.

after discovering this issue when the drivers did come out Euphonix took 4 weeks to reply to me, i had to come over here and register to get any kind of acknowledgement,and that was from AVID.

as AVID now own euphonix they need to know from the end users that Euphonix as a company are shockingly bad at communication and do something about it.

As I've already said, I was very pleased when AVID took over as I knew things would get a lot better for us PC users, so I'd like to thank AVID for that and hope things can continue to move forwards.

Marcus
www.norburybrookstudios.com

Marcus -

First, we can never, ever talk about future development for many reasons, all of which have been discussed ad nauseam here on the DUC over the years.

Second, there was never any 'deal' with Apple. We wanted Windows support as much as anyone, but developing it for the Artist series is a completely different animal than System 5 - different hardware, firmware, functionality, etc. That kind of development takes years, as you can see.

Avid and Euphonix are the same company - Euphonix support is overseen by myself and a few others, so any 'non-response' should not be placed upon any particular company, since they are one and the same. I don't have time at the moment to look at your case history, but I *do* see that you're in Europe and I *do* know there was a tremendous backlog after the Windows release - if your submitted case was to report the memory leak, it was likely given lower priority (as far as a reponse goes, not in our action on the report) than someone with a problem that could be solved right away. If I recall correctly you knew from our posts here on the DUC that the issue was known and that we were working on it, so I don't understand what the complaint would be given that the only response you'd get via your email support request was to say the same thing you knew about from our acknowledgement here on the DUC.

In any case - we're working on this fix as fast as we can. If you've followed my posts regarding bug reports and fixes, you'll know that there are several stages to a fix - finding the culprit, implementing a fix and testing it, then creating the installers and rolling it out via the web. Each of those can take considerable time, depending on the work to be done. Testing alone is a minimum of 2 weeks, as we have to test each piece of hardware and every app that is compatible with that hardware, not to mention testing with other peripherals that may interact with the Euphonix hardware. If a failure is found or other 'fallout' issues occur, it can reset testing.

In any case - I'm not up here to make excuses, just giving you a realistic timeframe, as much as I'm able. I know everyone wants it NOW and, if we could, we'd deliver it immediately, but the process needs to go through it's paces so we don't introduce other issues by rushing out a fix.

Hopefully this paints a more clear picture of what happens behind the scenes and makes it clear that we are definitely working as quickly as possible on this!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Avid Support,

thank you for clearing up some issues.I appreciate the communication and hope the update comes as and when it is ready and fully tested.

thanks again for keeping us in the loop

Marcus
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Avid

Quote:
Avid Support,

thank you for clearing up some issues.I appreciate the communication and hope the update comes as and when it is ready and fully tested.

thanks again for keeping us in the loop

Marcus
As always, we very much appreciate your patience and understanding. All our Windows guys who have an Artist controller are pushing for the fix, so you've got lots of help internally besides myself!