Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-11-2005, 11:30 AM

Default 002 faders NOT RESPONDING

My 002's faders are not responding like they should... The touch sensitive function is no where near accurate, so when i am trying to do regular fader changes, i am fighting against the motors most of the time. the funny thing is that if i touch one finger to the fader, and then a couple other fingers to the metal on the control surface, they work...

is it some weird grounding issue then maybe? Anybody else having similar problems out there?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: 002 faders NOT RESPONDING

Not sure if this helps. The fader caps use touch capacitance to work. If you try to push a fader with your fingernail, it will fight back. Is the power cord plugged into a grounded outlet? Try lifting the AC ground if its grounded. If its lifted(with a cheater), then ground it. If you lifted the AC ground to get rid of a hum, try lifting other devices instead, or better yet, lift the sheild (on line level balanced cables) at the "output end. i.e. the cables from the 002 main outs to your powered speakers would have the sheild cut at the speaker end. This drains interference "upstream" to ground.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 PM

I have run many tests to try to figure out this problem. I don't think lifting the audio ground will help much because if there was a ground loop i would definitely notice it in my audio signal flow. I have tried lifting the AC ground (briefly because this is no permanent solution) with no effect. Thanks for the thought though.

I have however noticed that if I myself am grounded, the faders work fine. If i grab my gear rack with my left hand and move the faders with my right, they respond perfectly. Or if I touch the metal plate on the 002 with several fingers as I move a fader.

Yes, it works, but I don't think i can live with it... It's already making me go crazy during mixes.
I contacted Digi tech support, and they sent me a new power harness... which did nothing. Thanks anyway Digidesign...
Old 01-16-2005, 05:49 PM

*bump*
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 AM

It very well could be your room conditions. Sounds crazy, but it has happened to other people. The dry air from season changes can effect the sensitivety of the faders to touch. Try using lotion on your hands and run a humidifier.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:58 AM

hmmm, i'll definitely give it a try... I used to be a chef up until recently and i have very dry hands... then again i think my friend was using it and having the same problems a while back... i'll try it out and follow up.