Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 01:03 PM

Default Saving plugin settings before switching to XP.....

I'm seriously thinking of switching from ME to XP Pro, which means I need to save my plugin settings(delays, etc.).
Does anyone have a simpler suggestion than having to write down each individual plugin setting? For instance, is there a way to save an ME session, just to check what it's setting were, after loading XP?
Thanks for any suggestions...

~Roy
Old 10-15-2002, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Saving plugin settings before switching to XP.....

Hi Roy,

I sure wish I had an answer for you, and for that matter, one for myself. When I made the switch to WinXP I discovered my plug settings (particularly the delay settings) were changed within the session.

I didn't have my settings written down, trusting to the session "saves" to open correctly. I have recovered by countless hours of re-tweakin'..OUCH!

Sure hope you discover a simpler solution than writing it all down, but I would still write it all down knowing what I know now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 01:27 PM

Thanks anyway, Sabe...still hoping someone will have a solution to that part of it...
Also, though, even though there are countless topics on making the switch to XP, it would be great to have the exact best order in which to install everything , one by one. I have done the XP switch once before, but not without problems due mainly to my natural impatience. So, I'm gonna try to have my ducks in a row this time.

Thanks, Roy
Old 10-15-2002, 01:34 PM

Roy, I am sure you already know this, but there is a "pdf" file that you can download that describes the order of installing/to do's and in general the whole scooby. I followed it to a "t" and had no problems whatsoever, and I haven't done any "system" tweaks other than changing the background color. I know all systems will behave differently but that "pdf" is a good place to start [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

..I have just made a post about my one and only WinXP problem. Look for "WinXP problems with the "pencil tool".. (I am not counting the spfid/mirror toggle that doesn't save in the preference file upon exiting because that exsisted in Win98se too, and I guess I might as well mention the lack of dual monitor support too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

I hope you fare as well as I and many others with the xp move.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:09 PM

"there is a "pdf" file that you can download"

Hi Sabe,
Yes, I know about the pdf, and thanks. I meant not only that, but also reinstalling plugins like Waves, and the best place to direct them within XP...... I'm almost positive I'll be fine though.
Once I get XP Pro/5.3 in and stable, and then install my Waves plugins, I may try BombFactory too.
So wish me luck... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 02:21 PM

Luck!
Old 10-15-2002, 02:28 PM

In my case, yes... luck is often required... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 02:53 PM

Roy,

I'm not at my PTLE system right now so I can't give an exact description, but you're familiar enough with PT to know what I mean.

I've only seen the "Long Delay" Digirack plug loose its settings when opening a Win9x session in 5.3.1. What happened with the Long Delays on my sessions is that they simply ignored whatever settings you had and reverted to the default settings. That's a verrrrrry looooong delay!

Anyway, the way I got around it was to simply save the plug-in settings. When you have your plug-in window open you click on the File menu (or whatever the menu in the extreme upper left of the plug-in is called) and choose "save settings" (or "save settings as", or whatever menu selection means the same). Give the setting you're saving a descriptive name so you'll know which one to load later on and you've got it.

All you have to do when you open the session in 5.3.1 is open the plug-in which now has screwed up settings and load the preset that you saved in WinME before you upgraded.

Is that clear? Or did I just add more confusion?

Trying to help!

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 10-15-2002, 03:30 PM

Mike,
That's exactly what I was hoping for, and probably every XP/5.3 installer should know that, IF they use plugins(and who doesn't?). I knew there had to be a solution, and I should have known you'de be the one that would know.

For about the 1000th time, thanks so much for your help. I will be emailing you 'bout something else later too, anyway....... Thanks, Roy
Old 10-15-2002, 07:58 PM

In case it wasn't obvious in my other post...

Make sure you save these to somewhere other than your system drive! If you save them to your system drive they'll be gone when you format it to do the XP install.

Okay, so it was obvious. Pretend I never said it! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs