Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Logitech mouse response "absolutely terrible" in OS X?

I have a Logitch MX Pro mouse from around 2009 and I love(d) it... I love all the buttons, the shape, weight and everything. With all my custom button assignments it has become integral to my PT and Melodyne universe.

However... and I'm not sure when it started... but I can't for the life of me get smooth, responsive scrolling. In particular, horizontal scrolling (shift + wheel). No matter how I set the settings, it's like the worst, choppy, non-responsive mouse movement. Truly frustrating.

I really, really, really miss being able to scroll up, down, left and right, smoothly. It should feel like a web page, but there is so much lag and dropped data that it baffles me.

Is this the mouse or OS X or PT11?

2008 Mac Pro
Mavericks 10.9.5
PT11
Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Logitech mouse response "absolutely terrible" in OS X?

It sounds like you don't have the latest Logitech driver installed for your mouse.

Check the Logitech support page for an update: https://support.logitech.com/en_us/home

Simon Morrison • Audio Architect • Mastering Engineer • Music Technologist
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | macOS 14.4.1
[ www.MorrisonStudios.com ]
Old 10-09-2014, 03:07 AM

I can't help noticing your mouse dates from 2009.

I use the Logitech Marble Mouse (trackball) on 4 different Mac's and I like it very much, but after approx. one year of intensive use I need to replace it by a new one. The problem is always the same: the small buttons become less responsive. So I have a big pile of broken trackballs + a stock of new ones, but I consider this has normal 'wear and tear' (and maybe intended as such by Logitech, if you make things that last forever you will go bankrupt)

So probably your shift button has become less responsive too, or the scroll wheel, or both and it's time to replace it by a new one.

On the driver part: I use the same version of 'Logitech Control Center' on Max OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9, always with the same type of Logitech Marble Mouse. Once calibrated all the mouses (trackballs) perform identical. So I don't think the driver would be the problem

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 10-09-2014, 04:15 AM

The Mx Pro is a great mouse but it's relatively fragile and prone to mechanical failure of its parts. I know this first hand.

Darryl Ramm
Old 10-11-2014, 03:16 AM

Default Logitech mouse response "absolutely terrible" in OS X?

If you're used to Windows I've found OS X to have a completely different feel with mice, trackpad's etc, despite the same hardware.

Not as "snappy" for better or worse
Old 10-11-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I have a Logitch MX Pro mouse from around 2009 and I love(d) it... I love all the buttons, the shape, weight and everything. With all my custom button assignments it has become integral to my PT and Melodyne universe.

However... and I'm not sure when it started... but I can't for the life of me get smooth, responsive scrolling. In particular, horizontal scrolling (shift + wheel). No matter how I set the settings, it's like the worst, choppy, non-responsive mouse movement. Truly frustrating.

I really, really, really miss being able to scroll up, down, left and right, smoothly. It should feel like a web page, but there is so much lag and dropped data that it baffles me.

Is this the mouse or OS X or PT11?

2008 Mac Pro
Mavericks 10.9.5
PT11
Your mouse is old and worn out; it's amazing the buttons are still working but I'll bet you're having issues with those and haven't really noticed it. Logitech stuff works just fine on any version of Mac provided you have the latest drivers. The buttons and such do wear out over time.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your mouse is old and worn out; it's amazing the buttons are still working but I'll bet you're having issues with those and haven't really noticed it. Logitech stuff works just fine on any version of Mac provided you have the latest drivers. The buttons and such do wear out over time.
What I find odd is that 1) I do have the latest driver and 2) tracking an responsiveness is fine in other applications. That makes me think it's not hardware-related, but everyone's point that it's old is still true!

The first step is to test out an old analog mouse and see how it responds.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
What I find odd is that 1) I do have the latest driver and 2) tracking an responsiveness is fine in other applications. That makes me think it's not hardware-related, but everyone's point that it's old is still true!

The first step is to test out an old analog mouse and see how it responds.
Why not just spend the money (mice are inexpensive compared to the rest of what one spends on a daw and s/w) and get a new mouse? At best you have an old mouse that's intermittent and at worst it'll crap out on you when you least expect it to.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM

You need to get this app for OSX to make mouse response acceptable IMHO.

http://smoothmouse.com/
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM

FWIW, my MBP is up on a shelf as I use an external monitor for the main screen, but I was having similar issues with both a bluetooth mouse and a wireless Logitech mouse. I finally figured out that the MBP was too far away to get a good connection, so I bought a USB extension cable for the Logitech mouse, put the receiver on the end of it, and placed it right there next to the mousepad. Works perfectly now!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB