Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Default Generating a click track for imported .wav files

Hi Avid Community. I've been an Ableton Live user for 8 years. I'm building out a new PC this week and will be making the transition to Windows 7, Pro Tools 10, and upgrading from an MAudio Fast Track interface to an MBox 3 next week. Big transition. I'm a little wary but mostly excited as everyone I've talked to says I'm making the right decision and will be more than pleased with Pro Tools.

My band is looking to re-record all of our material through the MBox 3 into ProTools. All our old-existing recordings in Ableton were recorded to a click. I've read in previous threads that despite knowing the tempo and bpm it may not align 100% right from Ableton to Pro Tools.

So to my question, is there a way to import a .wav file and have Pro Tools automatically find the tempo and generate a click?

It would save us so much time if we could strip the drum tracks from our old recordings, import them into Pro Tools and generate a click as opposed to recording all new scratch tracks for our drummer to work with. I understand Pro Tools has a tempo mapping feature? Would this put me on the right track? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

E

www.facebook.com/r3donr3d
www.r3donr3d.com
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Generating a click track for imported .wav files

I hope you did your homework BEFORE you bought all the parts for your new PC(choosing the proper parts is critical). And if you have not yet purchased the Mbox3, there may be better options. On to the question...there isn't a way for PT to automatically make a sync'd click, but its not that tough. Check youtube for something like "generating a beat map in pro tools"(without the quotes) and "using Identify Beat in pro tools". Once you import your drums, select to view the transport window and click on the bpm number(it defaults to 120). With that number highlighted, play the session(your drums) and tap the T key. that should get you close if not spot on. You can fine tune from there. There will be a learning curve and you may find yourself cursing and complaining a bit, but it will get better

Re. interfaces, I would look at the Focusrite Pro40 or a used 003r(just my 2 cents).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Generating a click track for imported .wav files

Thanks, yeah I'm still in the process of building out my PC. I basically have 16GB of DDR3 and a 2TB hard drive 10,000 rpm. I will definitely check out those interfaces you mentioned. Noticable difference over the MBox, huh?

I'm anxious to dig in to PT. I think its the anticipation of the many, many hours ahead and inevitable face-in-palm moments that's getting to me most...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the Clicks. We have a few tracks where our tempo changes distinctly. ("Tree Hollow" as an example) In Ableton I would always have to create two completely separate tracks with the two time signatures and then morph them together after the fact. I'm excited not to have to do that anymore