Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Pt 7...Is the party over?

I have a G4 iMac 1 Ghz system, Tiger 10.4, 768 ram, Seagate external. I installed the PT7 update, and there is where the trouble started. I couldn't get PT to start up. I kept getting an affirmation error. I couldn't save a new file, and would get a different affirmation error. I moved the open and save files to the internal drive, but then the DAE errors started popping like crazy. I sent word to tech support about 4 days ago, but have heard nothing. Maybe they are overwhelmed with tech support problems

I decided to back out and re-install Pt 6.9.2 which was working fine. However the 6.9 re-install wouldn't work without the 6.7 install. 6.7 needed to see the Panther. So I had to wipe the drive, install 6.7, install Tiger, install 6.92, reinstall plug-ins, etc.

Now I'm PT7 phobic. I lost almost 4 days of business because of downtime. I'm thinking that the PT party is over for us G4 iMac owners. I think PT7 is a great upgrade and has a lot of possibilities, but mayb the processor is not fast enough and/or running on the edge of compatability.

I'll probably update to the new Intell iMac next month, but I'm thinking I won't go with PT on that system(at this point there is no other choice). I'll probably go with MOTU DP or Logic. It seems like they are already there with what Digi's PT 7 is trying to do.

At this point the only reason I'll keep PT around is because of client perceptions (most of my clients know nothing about recording, but somehow think that Pro Tools means something special).

It was a good ride, but I wish I hadn't spent the money/time to find this out.

Maybe someone can let me know when the upgrades will have it together.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Pt 7...Is the party over?

I have LE 7 running absolutely fine on my 1GHz Powerbook. It is absolutely stable, and uses less CPU than 6.7.
Did you follow TO THE LETTER all the general troubleshooting tips HERE

LE 7 should be fine on your machine.

I'd do a clean install of Tiger and PT. And also ensure that your plugins are all up to date.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 01-16-2006, 08:16 AM

My g4 powerbook and digi 002 rack and firewire won't bounce.

I guess PT 7 is struggling for sure.

Why did I buy now?

Cheers.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Avid

A vast majority of problems people encounter with Pro Tools 7 are caused by having incompatible plug-ins installed. Did you verify that all your installed plug-ins were compatible? Most of them are, but some may require an update.

If you provide more specific info on the errors you were getting any your system, we may be able to point out the cause of your problems.

MboxCanuck - You say you can't bounce in Pro Tools. What are the exact errors you're getting? Can you provide more information on your system, so that we can help troubleshoot?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Yes I followed the general troubleshooting to the letter, as well as installed the system correctly. This is not my first install or update, I've done this a million times. My Pro Tools days started on Pro Tools 1.

One of the errors I get is:
Could not save because: an assertion occurred in "FF_AudioProperty.cpp", line 33

It has nothing to do with bouncing, I'm simply trying to save the file. The other assertion error I can't remember. The paper I have it on is at the studio. It happens everytime I tried to open a previous file from PT 6.9.2. I sent both of these errors to tech support, so they should be logged somewhere. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the external drive. I don't really want to go out and buy and new drive just to learn that it wasn't it. Plus I don't want to have to go through 5 hours of un-loading and re-loading software and OS.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:00 PM

Also...I only have the plug-ins that came bundled or added by Digidesign(free) through the website. It includes bomb factory, IK, and the Dynamic eq. do these need to be updated? Aren't they part of the bundle with PT 7?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM

That error is usually because of some sort of illegal character in your file hierarchy. Remember, sessions are automatically setup for Mac/PC compatibility in version 7. Make sure you don't have any slashes or other things in your session name or any of the folders or drive where it's located.

As for your plug-in woes, you probably should go ahead and confirm that you have the right versions.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 AM

Here are the exact messages I get. First when I open - Assertion in "FF_audioProperty.cpp", line 33. I tried reseting the buffer and removing fad files, but still had problem. Also, when I try to save a new file I get - Could not create a new document because Assertion in "sys_fileUtilsMacOs.cpp", line 497 while creating.....(my file name)

Maybe I'm just beating this to death. I really don't want to give up.

I have no odd characters in my file names. I've trained myself long ago. I frequently switch back and forth from mac to win.