Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 AM

Default Upgrade PC for PT11 or stand pat?

Hi, I'm running a Sandy Bridge PC based around an Intel i2500k CPU and 16 GB RAM. I'm a writer, confident enough to track, someone else does the final mixes.

Although the project I originally specced the PC for has experienced delays, the experiments I did indicated it was having no trouble keeping up with medium sized projects. In fact it was running really well.

And PT11 is supposed to be a lot easier on the system than PT10.

So, is there any reason to suspect my present setup won't be able to handle tracking duties for medium to medium large projects in PT11 Native? btw I track with a Mackie Onyx Blackbird that has its own mixer application -- it seemed to record fine at a buffer of 64 [there is no option for 32].
Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Upgrade PC for PT11 or stand pat?

From what I understand, the official word was, "If it runs PT10, it'll run 11."
Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Upgrade PC for PT11 or stand pat?

If anything you will probably notice an improvement in performance. Not only is 11 supposed to be more efficient, you will also be able to take full advantage of your system and RAM.

If you are still looking to upgrade though, Intel is about to launch new Haswell Cpu's which is the successor to the Ivy Bridge CPU. Your current motherboard will not be compatible with Haswell Cpu's but you can run an Ivy Bridge.

The Prices on the Ivy Bridge should fall a good amount and you will see awesome sales starting to appear soon as dealers want to move their old stock to make room for Haswell.

Ivy Bridge is a fantastic CPU. I run an i7 3770k and it smashes through everything you can throw at it with ease. The big benefit to you is the hyper threading of the i7 line vs the i5 line. You get 2 threads per core instead of one, which Pro tools will see and can use/manage to squeeze more HP out of your system.

If you decide to upgrade you will be future proof for along time. The performance of the new Haswell CPU's show a very minor upgrade in CPU performance. The main draw for it is better onboard video performance and battery life for Notebooks which is pointless for audio production. So you will be current for at least another entire CPU generation.

If it still isn't fast enough for you just overclock it. I run mine at 4.6ghz. Which is significantly faster then any stock Haswell is, and runs Pro tools like a champ!

Good Luck!