Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Unhappy Please Help: New Avid PCIe Card added to old Core and Accell cards not working!

HELP PLEASE!!!! I have added a new AVID PCIe Accell card to an existing older set of Digidesign cards that were manufactured a few years ago (One Core card and one Accell card). My Mac is a 4 core Intel running at 2.66 GHz on OS 10.4.11. I am running Pro-Tools HD 2 system and I am trying to add another Accell card to gain some more processing power of course. I installed it correctly (I have done it several times before on other systems with 100% success, but never with a new card combined with older cards), and it is not working! It will not even let me do a Digi-Test before the Mac gives me the multi language reboot prompt. Am I missing a step? Is there some new drivers I have to install for these newer cards, or firmware that I am missing? My Mac and Pro Tools were running great before installing this new card and I have had very little trouble over the years, but I will not rule anything out at this point. This is my second new card in about a week to try this with... PLEASE HELP, ANYONE THAT HAS SOME KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS ISSUE!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Please Help: New Avid PCIe Card added to old Core and Accell cards not working!

Are the older cards also PCIe Accel?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Please Help: New Avid PCIe Card added to old Core and Accell cards not working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
Are the older cards also PCIe Accel?
It's an intel mac, so it has to be PCIe.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 PM

Are you sure you seated the Flex Cable right? Also, did you put the Core card in the 1st slot?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 AM

Yepp, must be issues with the Flexicables.

There should be no problem mixing cards from different batches / manufacturing years. And yes, Intel Mac Pro´s are PCIe only.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
It's an intel mac, so it has to be PCIe.
You are correct. I guess I should have read the post more carefully. That's what happens when you decide to post on the DUC when you're overtired.

Last edited by drumster; 07-09-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Yes, everything was seated properly. I have triple checked all of that. The only other thing I can think of is that the last card slot is bad. Is there a way that can be checked before I have to take to my computer guy?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 AM

You could replace the working Accel card with the new one to see if that will work. Then you know there is no problem with the card itself.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM

If there is a problem with the card, Avid should have a flat rate repair charge.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM

I have taken my older Accell card and TDM Flex-cable out of the computer completely and put the newer ones in it's place. It still does not work and is doing the same thing as before. The multi-language reboot prompt. I looked at the System Profiler on the Mac earlier with all cards in, and all of the slots are working because the System Profiler saw all three cards plus the video card. Still no luck here. This is my second PCIe Accell card and Flex-cable within a week, and they are still not working. Just not sure what else to do. Is there some new drivers or firmware that I am missing for these newer cards that I do not have?