Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Hard Drive adding distortion

I'm running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.0 on a computer I built and it worked fine until I put in a new hard drive. The sessions still run from my old hard drive without a problem, but when I try to run them from my new Seagate Baracudda drive, I get a destorted clipping noise that plays back with my audio. It only does it in Pro Tools though. When I bounce tracks down and listen to them through windows media player or musicmatch they sound fine.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any problems with Pro Tools compatability with PCI host cards. I got a Vantec Serial ATA 1.5 PCI host controller to connect my new hard drive. I've already moved it to a new slot and messed with all the PCI latencies and my Delta 44 latencies and nothing has helped get rid of the distortion. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Hard Drive adding distortion

Is your PC power supply powerful enough ? soundcards, PCI adapters, fast disks etc. tend to draw a lot of power.
Although this may not be the problem, it is worth checking, notably if your mains voltage is a bit weak.
Mac Pro 2013 & Chassis
Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Hard Drive adding distortion

I have a 400watt Antec Power supply that I though should be enough. I don't know though. Also, sometimes when I boot up, the Vdd voltage drops into the red but usually jumps back up. I don't if that could be why its adding distortion.

The funny thing is, I only get the distortion in Pro Tools, any other programs that I listen to music with work fine off of that drive.