Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Drum Tracks ... Software or Drum Module?

Hi,
I would like to record some drum tracks and be able to edit them. I am wondering if it would be best to buy a drum module or is there some software I could use. I have a cheap MIDI keyboard that I could use to control either. I definitely want the capability to assign certain drum sounds to certain key so I can arrange a keyboard "drum kit" that is easy to play. Any suggestions on what to buy or experience? If possible, I would prefer not to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. Thanks
Old 01-04-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Drum Tracks ... Software or Drum Module?

Reason 275.00
sampletank free+there are better versions like l and xl.
I Like the soft ware versions myself but I am still sort of a newbe.I have sampletank xl and love it.Its around 300.00 though.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:16 PM

If you have a separate sound card, then Reason 2.0 kicks butt for $279. Not only will it give you a drum machine with hundreds of loadable sounds, but it also contains a loop player (great for integrating drum loops into a song), a whole bunch of analog and digital synths, a sequencer and a load of effects. Everything can be mapped to song tempo and/or automated.

There are lots of other really good alternatives, but that one's my personal preference.
Yosemite OS
Old 01-04-2003, 06:33 PM

reason rules! check out my reason tutorial, then run out and buy reason, recycle and a m-audio 24/96...
http://basstardz.dhs.org/TIPS/TIP001...son-and-PT.HTM
Old 01-04-2003, 06:34 PM

i forgot. sign the rewire petition too...
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=012320
Old 01-04-2003, 07:21 PM

Hello! Thanks for the suggestions. I have a digi 001 which uses it's dedicated sound card. Do you think Reason 2.0 would be compatible? I assume this is a software package. I have my computer set up with two hardware configurations I choose during start-up. One is dedicated to the digi001 HW and disables the sound card integrated onto my motherboard. The other disables the digi001. Sound OK.
Thanks again for the advice?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:51 PM

For me its Acid and Acid Loops. Takes the worry out of doing the drums. And getting a drum sound and mix. Theres more to drums than just kick kick snare. Loops can give you a full professional drum sound by none other than Mick Fleetwood or Steve Gadd. There's subtle thing no machine can touch.

Do it by using Bounce out and Import in Pro Tools.

In fact, get used to bounce/import with ProTools for a lot of things. If you want to use all the tools the world now has to offer.

ProTools won't let you use those tools.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:47 AM

Hi [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] ,
Hardware... buy yourself a MPC2000XL and you will rediscover the way you're doing drums track, really when i play this MPC and ask some real drummer if he can play or record my track his answer is "but, you have already a drummer ?", my answer....yes his name is AKAI!!! really go in a shop and try one and if you can't afford the price find a 2nd hand these gear are very very solid.

KaR from OskaR doublebass player
*************(O=)==*
*************EllllB
*************-(_O_)===#
Old 01-05-2003, 02:03 AM

I think this is what you're looking for. ST Acoustic Drum The sounds are very, very high quality and it comes with a version of Sampletank for only $99! I just got it, and I'm quite impressed.

Reason is cool, but the drum loops and machines are more suited for Hip Hop/Dance music. Of coarse you can use it for Rock music, but for the price for Reason, it doesn't make sence when clearly Acoustic Drum is a more natual, believable drum module (for far less money!).

I'm not dis'n Reason, it's more of an electronic tool.
Jayman #9