Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2023, 11:10 AM

Default Pro Tools Tracking without computer screen

Are there any solutions that enable me to turn my computer screen off when tracking? Some way to control channels/routing/arm/track/record/playback, etc.

I've been working with a hardware recorder recently and it's been bliss tracking without a screen sucking the life out my room. Happy to use it for editing/mixing but for tracking I'd love a solution to enable me to turn the screen off.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Tracking without computer screen

Yes, with Avid Control you can do any and all of this.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Yes, with Avid Control you can do any and all of this.
Well yes Avid Control and a mobile device either Phone or Tablet

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-09-2023, 01:00 PM

The obvious answer is to use hardware controller(s). I use two old, but still supported, Artist Mix'es, and they let me do lots of stuff without using a screen. I think you can get them used for $3-500usd. The current option from avid is the S1, but they're more expensive.

Both these controllers were designed to work w/PT, and therefore they do the job so well, but do work with other DAWs. But stay away from other controllers, even if they say the work w/PT, Avid does not allow 3rd party controllers to work that well.

I guess another option could be to use Avid Eucontrol software (free) on a tablet.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:24 PM

Was just looking at the Presonus Faderport 8 which seems a more affordable option but not sure how it compares to the Avid control products. I guess with all these there would be much setting up of a session before I turn off the screen and can track?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
Was just looking at the Presonus Faderport 8 which seems a more affordable option but not sure how it compares to the Avid control products. I guess with all these there would be much setting up of a session before I turn off the screen and can track?
The problem with the faderport(and all HUI devices) is that HUI is a very limited protocol. Avid Control on a tablet allows for access to way more function. Adding an S1 takes another giant leap ahead. Yes, the faderport is affordable, but in this case, you get what you pay for(IOW, an S1 is likely to serve you for many more years, making it the better value). Just an opinion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave