Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Cabling C24

Hi All, just got the C24 and need to cable the following:

192i/o

Access Virus (has balanced or spidif)
2 sound modules (one has balanced the other balanced or spidif)

Red 3
Red 8
Massive Passive
Lex pcm96

Any help? Having a bit of difficulty.

I was thinking the modules should go to the submixer, but my db25 to TRS isn't working. for some reason I can't get any audio into the C24 that way? Is that the wrong cable (it works when I plug them into the 192 analog in).

thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Cabling C24

So you're going from the sound modules to the submixer, and then what?
Where are the 2 outputs from the submixer going?
Basically you have to think of the C24 as a middle man between the outside world and the 192. So how is your 192 connected to the C24?
Anything that goes into the C24 has to come out either from the Lineouts ,monitor outs, or the submixer outs. There is no real mixing or summing taking place within the C24.
A patchbay is usually helpful.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM

how about if I plug the modules, keyboard into the 192, then use the analog out to the C24?

Just haven't then figured out how to get the eq, compressor and pre to play in the mix then.

should I be able to plug the Access virus into either the submixer or preamps and hear something?

I have a db25 to xlr cable with the main out going to a pair of genelecs.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Yes, you can plug directly into the 192 and bypass the C24
A.Virus can be plugged into the submixer or line inputs on the C24 and the results can be heard if properly routed to either the 192 or the C24 monitor section.
Eq and compressor can be sent to from one or more outs from the 192, then returned back to the 192.
While all that is possible to do, it might not be the most elegant way to get there.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan2010 View Post
Hi All, just got the C24 and need to cable the following:

192i/o

Access Virus (has balanced or spidif)
2 sound modules (one has balanced the other balanced or spidif)

Red 3
Red 8
Massive Passive
Lex pcm96

Any help? Having a bit of difficulty.

I was thinking the modules should go to the submixer, but my db25 to TRS isn't working. for some reason I can't get any audio into the C24 that way? Is that the wrong cable (it works when I plug them into the 192 analog in).

thanks!
You are probably getting audio into the submixer. The Submixer has a separate output that would need to be routed back into the c24 monitor section, or to a set of speakers, or into the 192 to route into a session. The latter is what it sounds like you are trying to do.
The C24 manual is a "dry" read, but there are a lot of things that will not be apparent without it. It is essentially a PT GUI in hardware form with some lowend preamps, an 8 channel mixer, and a decent monitor section. In reality these various sections are not integrated "inside" the unit, but need to be cabled together. there are a variety of ways to go about this.
I would strongly suggest that you find someone there to walk you through all the installation issues you are having. You will learn more in an afternoon than you will in a month here... good luck. SB
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
You are probably getting audio into the submixer. The Submixer has a separate output that would need to be routed back into the c24 monitor section, or to a set of speakers, or into the 192 to route into a session. The latter is what it sounds like you are trying to do.
The C24 manual is a "dry" read, but there are a lot of things that will not be apparent without it. It is essentially a PT GUI in hardware form with some lowend preamps, an 8 channel mixer, and a decent monitor section. In reality these various sections are not integrated "inside" the unit, but need to be cabled together. there are a variety of ways to go about this.
I would strongly suggest that you find someone there to walk you through all the installation issues you are having. You will learn more in an afternoon than you will in a month here... good luck. SB
WRONG---the submixer has a button that says to mon.when pressed you can hear whats plugged in submixer direct from monotors
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERLINKSTUDIOS View Post
WRONG---the submixer has a button that says to mon.when pressed you can hear whats plugged in submixer direct from monotors
Well .... RIGHT... and wrong.
The OP is looking to (from my understanding of his post) RECORD what is plugged into the submixer. That is why it would need to be routed "out" and back "in".
The "to mon" button is for monitoring things like CD players, etc...for reference (or whatever you want). The "to mon" button is also a new addition to the C24. SB