Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Default standard support plan renewal?

Years up, is this still offered, or laps and see about PT11 cost later?

Through dealers only?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Default Re: standard support plan renewal?

You probably should have checked with your dealer before the plan was up, you may have to pay more.

I got the info from my Sweetwater rep:

Basically, they've changed their plans somewhat, and the one closest to the standard support plan (it may still be called that) is now $799 instead of $599. That's if you renew it before it expires. If you let it expire, then there's a penalty of 25%, making it $999.

Whenever you renew it, it's backdated to when your previous one expired. So no matter when you buy it, it still expires a year from when the previous one ended. For example, mine expires Dec. 29th. If I let it expire, and don't buy until April, it will still expire Dec. 29th of next year (and I will pay the higher price). However, the good news is that if PT11 comes out anytime during that year, I still get the free upgrade. So if I let mine expire, and didn't renew until April, and they came out with PT11 in January or February, my policy is backdated and I still get the upgrade.

Hope this makes sense. Also, if you wait over a year after your current one has expired, I think you forfeit the right to renew. And the only authorized way to buy these is to get them when you buy any new HD system. Apparently it's been this way, and that is why it was an exception to offer it to HD9 users, as a solution to the unexpected price increases.

If you end up having to pay the $999, I don't know if that will also happen to be the price of just buying an upgrade to HD11 (I have no info on price or when that will come out). Even if it's the same, it may still be more advantageous to get the support plan, simply to have the support if you need it.

As far as I know, this is only done through dealers. You may want to contact the dealer you got the first one through. But you don't have to buy it from the same dealer that you bought the first one through, or the same dealer you got your HD system from. I got my support plan through Sweetwater, even though I got my HD Native system somewhere else, just because for this type of thing Sweetwater tends to stay on top of things and be well informed.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Default Re: standard support plan renewal?

Thank you.
More clarity here than the supper page.

Mines up next week.