Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2001, 12:36 AM

Default 5.2 Fixes & Predelay feature

With the welcome addition of stereo and multi tracks, digi has overlooked the fact that the voice allocation display in the mix window can be confusing as a stereo track allocated to voice 11-12 looks identical to a mono track allocated to voice 12 for example. They both appear as A12 for instance. Tiny point but fixable.
Of more importance I would like to see a more useful way of dealing with dsp induced delays. The time adjuster plugin requires you to make all undelayed tracks delayed to compensate for one culprit. Surely a better idea would be to ape the new midi function allowing you to independantly pre-delay a specific track or instrument. This would allow us to simply compensate for plugins and inserts by predelaying the specific track. I'm getting this right aren't I? Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2001, 08:42 AM

Default Re: 5.2 Fixes & Predelay feature

Quote:
Surely a better idea would be to ape the new midi function allowing you to independantly pre-delay a specific track or instrument. This would allow us to simply compensate for plugins and inserts by predelaying the specific track. I'm getting this right aren't I? Any thoughts?[/B]
I totally agree with you nozza! Good point.
How about each plugin or track having a DPADC (digidesign propietary automatic delay calculator) built in. Every plugin you add on a track causes all regions on that track to slip back a few samples whether regions are locked ,inactive, muted or whatever.....

Old 05-30-2001, 10:09 AM

I keep hearing people talk about sliding reigons back automaticaly. NO! NO! NO!
I donn't want anyone especialy digi to start moving my reigons with out my permision.
An alternative might be that there be a preferance for X samples of delay on every chanel (user selectable so people wont have to complain about delays) and the plugins subtract from this number to compesate. That way you avoid the problem of haveing to calculate and delay every track every time you add a plugin only the track involved would be affected.
I know seems like sortof the same thing but the diference is that when the bugs are found they will move the whole track and there for be fixable, if the auro feature is moving lots of reigons and screwsup they could be totaly screwed up with no easy fix.
SK
Old 05-30-2001, 11:20 AM

There should be automatic delay compinsation that dosn't effect the way we SEE the regions on screen. ie. if there is 2 samples delay being added by a plug in, the program should compinsate for the delay without actually moving the region by 2 samples.
just one example of how it would suck...
if the program moved the regions then all our edits will not line up with the grid making it hair pulling to copy full parts to other sections of a song.
(2) UA Apollo 8 Quad
(1) UA Apollo 16 Quad
Old 05-30-2001, 03:18 PM

Agreed!!!

Old 05-30-2001, 10:05 PM

Cmon Digi, this issues been a big Question Mark for some time now and who really has the time and patience to go through every track and compensate. This will clarigy our Mixes. Give US the FIX.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:45 AM

Does the plug-in latency (if it's quite small, like a few samples) really matter on anything else except drums or other acoustic instruments that are multimiked? Besides, if you want the clearest sound quality you'll have to compensate for the microphone delays anyway...

Z
Old 05-31-2001, 04:02 AM

Noiz2 and Manhtproj,
You're right. Compensating delay by moving regions indeed sucks from the point of view you described!
The solution should be to compensate the delay on the track. A new feature placed on the track the same as the meterbargraph ,volume,pan, sends, IO view and such.
That can't be so difficult for you digi....

Or fix the timeadjuster so it can also work with negative values. It's not done slipping ahead anything else but the tracks having plugs installed

Or give the timeadjuster a feature that automatically calculates the plug delay given. As it is common knowledge which plugs cause X delay you can build this info into the plugin ( plugin detection ?!)
To me this is worth spending some DSP on it

[This message has been edited by Mano (edited May 31, 2001).]
Old 05-31-2001, 08:58 AM

"Does the plug-in latency (if it's quite small, like a few samples) really matter on anything else except drums or other acoustic instruments that are multimiked?"

The plug in latency often ISN'T quite small, so yes it does matter.

Mike
Old 05-31-2001, 01:44 PM

Something else that occurs to me when I think about this subject is why the delay display provided by digidesign showing sample delays incured by tdm plugins won't display the sample delay involved in using an external plugin, i.e going out and back into an 888 for instance. Digi provides these figures in the manual but you have to look them up every time you require them. Why can they not be calculated like the TDM delays?