Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 01:32 PM

Default Re: A Happy Thank You for the 2022.6 MIDI fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmusic View Post
However, I discovered a new aspect of my bug. If I follow my same operations while in Grid mode, everything works the way it should. My bug only happens when I create the clip by consolidating in Slip mode, which could be why some may have trouble reproducing this bug.
Just re-created this bug. When you consolidate to create an empty region WHILE in slip mode, the notes entered into the clip cannot be selected/quantized/moved. BUT, if you do not consolidate to create a region and simply record the notes creating a new region, everything works as it should....
Old 07-02-2022, 02:04 PM

I'm also grateful about the MIDI improvements, especially the copy-clips/sample-rounding fix.

I'm also concerned about this apparent new Quantization bug.

I'm still holding out for a simple "Input Quantize On/Off" Shortcut.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 07-02-2022, 06:15 PM

Had an extensive session last night and would like to share my discoveries:

Having taken note that the recent fixes are more likely to work in newly created 2022.6 sessions, I decided to try and import only MIDI stems into 2022.6 from a 2022.5 session without importing the session data.

Before exporting the MIDI stems I set the whole session to 120BPM (44.1kHz) and made sure there were no alignment issues. I also created a quantized copy of each stem as a test for 2022.6 import accuracy.

Unfortunately, after importing the stems into 2022.6 the notes appeared misaligned. Even if quantized before export.
Moreover, the total bar length fell short by some samples (can't recall, but short).

As a second test, I imported the same stems into Studio One.
These imports were also visibly misaligned.

This leads me to conclude that the issue was "embedded" into the MIDI file when created in 2022.5.
Before 2022.6 can be effective, I need a way to refresh the MIDI data in the stems since quantizing and resaving in 2022.6 didn't work.

So the next idea is to correct the alignment issues of each stem using another DAW (Studio One) then quantize & save as a new MIDI file (according to Studio One calculations).

Hopefully, this will enable me to import "refreshed" MIDI stems into 2022.6 and go about arranging the parts without previous alignment issues.

2nd Discovery:

The other unusual behavior I've experienced in 2022.6 is a when trying to lasso a group of MIDI notes. This was random & occurred a few times. When lassoing the group of notes, the VI made a high pitch & distorted sound and I was unable to select the notes as a group.
Only the last note lassoed would select. After restarting PT I was able to select the notes as a group normally without the weird sound.
This happened with 3 different VI's.

Update: I have not experienced this yet in my new "refreshed" session. (See next comment)

Hope these discoveries help add to the appreciated list of fixes so far.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-03-2022 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:48 PM

Yes! Importing the test stem into another DAW (Studio One) then quantizing and re-saving the file refreshed the MIDI clip/note data.

I've now successfully imported all the sessions MIDI stems and all are aligned and ready for final arrangements I've been eager to do.

Cut & Insert function working as desired and I'm finally able to arrange each song version without tedium.
I'm still playing it safe by not changing or fine tuning section tempos until after all cuts/inserts are finished.

At least now I know how to give problematic MIDI clips created by the previous MIDI engine a fresh start in 2022.6!

Feels really good being able to make changes to the arrangement on the fly and go forward with the musical vision.
I'm so used to manually re-aligning that I'm flying through my workflow. Enjoying the making of the music!!!

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-08-2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
Just re-created this bug. When you consolidate to create an empty region WHILE in slip mode, the notes entered into the clip cannot be selected/quantized/moved. BUT, if you do not consolidate to create a region and simply record the notes creating a new region, everything works as it should....
Glad you could recreate it! Yeah, there are a few easy workarounds, including just consolidating an empty region on the grid instead of in slip. The bug could definitely be a lot worse. That being said, sometimes if I don't have my MIDI keyboard set up, consolidating the clip is a fast and easy way for me to make a note, and the bug is really annoying in that sense! Do we have any mods or anyone that will pass this bug and the quantizing notes bug on to the powers that be?
Universal Audio Apollo x16 (x3)
Old 07-05-2022, 01:45 PM

If you are on current support plan, you can acces my avid and there is the My Support menu on the top, there you choose Access The Support Portal. Has anyone already reported this bug?
Old 07-05-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
If you are on current support plan, you can acces my avid and there is the My Support menu on the top, there you choose Access The Support Portal. Has anyone already reported this bug?
I haven't reported it yet as I don't feel I have enough details about it yet. But I made a new thread post about it where I show what's going on in a video:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420833
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-06-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I'm still holding out for a simple "Input Quantize On/Off" Shortcut.
It looks like you can make one. Open Keyboard Shortcuts and search "input q" - top hit is "Event Operations: Input Quantize". Is that not it?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-06-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
It looks like you can make one. Open Keyboard Shortcuts and search "input q" - top hit is "Event Operations: Input Quantize". Is that not it?
Unfortunately not. That just opens the Event Operations Window and sets it to "Input Quantize" (which I've been doing with EuCon for 12 years already). You still have to drag the mouse over and click the little checkbox to Enable/Disable it, which can be a drag when using a hi-res, widescreen display.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 07-06-2022, 11:13 AM

Having all kinds of issues here. Adjusting midi note lengths with the smart tool and also option drag duplicating is giving me constant crashes with this error. The midi was created with studio One and imported into the session. Even consolidating has no fix. Also, The original session was made with 2021.12

When I open this session in 2021.12, I do not get the error.

It seems the forum will software will not let me paste the error code without an access denied

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.