Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 AM

Default S3 + Mackie Control or HUI

Hey All,

Loving my S3 in ProTools - so glad I went for this over the alternatives on the market as it's really well implemented in ProTools.

It'd be GREAT however, to be able to use it with some of my other software. I regularly flick into RME TotalMix and occasionally Reaper. I've enabled HUI and Mackie Control in the EuCon app but I can't get it to play ball with the S3 at all.

Is this possible? If so, what am I missing?

Thanks!
Alex
Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Re: S3 + Mackie Control or HUI

I have definitely been able to control Totalmix before.... and just tried again. Mmmm, I cannot get it to work again either.
I have also used it with Ableton Live 9 and will check that out later on today.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 AM

So it's certainly do-able? That's good to hear.

I love my S3 but I'm finding it a little restrictive to only be able to use it in ProTools at the moment, especially considering the price.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has it to offer.

Thanks!
Alex
Old 10-17-2017, 12:19 PM

Reaper supports Eucon. Works very well with S3.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122509

The last time I tried Mackie Protocol with S3 it was a nightmare...
But that was in 2015 when S3 was introduced.
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 10-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Unfortunately the EuCon plugin for Reaper is extremely buggy, with both the S3 and the Artist series.

The surfaces work fine, but the whole DAW grinds to a halt and crashes regularly. I've tried it on numerous setups and always had the same issue.

For example, deleting a track in Reaper gives you a ~10-15 second lock-up and the occasional complete crash.

Mackie Control support would be the best option I think!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:59 AM

I tried using my S3 for Audiokinetic Wwise.

In MackieControl mode, I get following knobs and faders to work for each channel: fader, lower encoder, sel, solo, mute, "ín" (next to the lower encoder.)
However, only faders 1 and 9 respond to Wwise and they seem to respond to respond to the last active fader in the sofware of their group, i.e. if I have 11 faders in Wwise, fader 1 of the S3 would show the value of fader 8 in Wwise; fader 9 on the s3 would match fader 11 of Wwise, as if the midi channel is being ignored.
Also, faders and encoders are useless as they don't send out any linear values but raher some seemingly random values at the edges of the range.

HUI mode doesn't work at all. No buttons, faders or encoders are recognized and I get BSOD's all the time.
My AVID Transport isn't recognised at all, although it shows Wwise as the active app on it's display.

The software works perfectly fine with my digi003, so it's not an issue on the Wwise part.

Any thoughts or plans to make this work as advertised on the Avid side?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 AM

I haven't used Wwise but did have a similar problem at first w/ Ableton. With MackieControl and the S3, check to make sure you've chosen "MackineControl" for the first 8 faders and then "MackieControlXT" for the 2nd (9-16).
To see how this is done in Ableton check out the most recent EUCON Application Setup guide (should be in your Avid account, and is also available via the Knowledge Base).
M
Old 11-28-2018, 12:44 AM

Hi Halfmoon,

thanks for the tip! the issue I have using MackieControl protocol is that the response of the faders and knobs doesn't seem to be linear or continuous. Only at the lower end of the fader range and somewhere near the top, seemingly quite random values are being recognized.
In Wwise, I've got a digi003 working (midi mode) as well as an old Roland controller in HUI mode, so I am assuming the issue (for wwise) is with the Mackie protocol.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
I haven't used Wwise but did have a similar problem at first w/ Ableton. With MackieControl and the S3, check to make sure you've chosen "MackineControl" for the first 8 faders and then "MackieControlXT" for the 2nd (9-16).
To see how this is done in Ableton check out the most recent EUCON Application Setup guide (should be in your Avid account, and is also available via the Knowledge Base).
M
@Halfmoon Have you had good results with this? I still have not been able to get the S3 operating in Ableton 10 so I gave up.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Avid

I think we have found an issue where if you have installed a fresh install of EUCON recently (not upgrading from an old version) Mackie control fails. We are looking at fixing this in the next release. In the meantime I think I have a workaround. Install v3.6.1 first and then install 18.3 over it.

MAC 3.6.1
PC 3.6.1