Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-02-2022, 11:51 AM

Default M1 Macbook crashes and restarts when HDX chassis is removed

M1 Macbook
HDX card
192 Interface
PT Ultimate 2022.6.0

I recently upgraded to the M1 Max laptop and life has been much better overall because of it! (does it even have a fan? we may never know)

The issue I'm having is when I disconnect the chassis with the HDX card from the MacBook, the MacBook crashes and restarts on its own, showing the 'your computer restarted because of a problem'

I just upgraded from an older TB2 Sonnet Echo Express III, using a TB2 to TB3 adapter to an Avid HDX TB3 chassis, and am having the same issue.

Is anyone else having this issue? This didn't happen with my previous macbooks.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:41 PM

Default Re: M1 Macbook crashes and restarts when HDX chassis is removed

Hi welcome to DUC.

This is a known and documented issue. See https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ig-Sur-Support

Quote:
Apple M1 machines can kernel panic if an HDX chassis is disconnected while the computer is on or the computer is put to sleep. To disconnect an HDX chassis safely, the computer must be powered down.
But even without this crashing bug, I am not sure why you upgraded from an older Thunderbolt 2 chassis. The only way a Thunderbolt 3 chassis works with Avid's (cough broken) HD Native and HDX cards is if they use PCIe 2 (hence that internal PCIe 2 switch on Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 chassis... the Avid branded Sonnet box may not have a switch, not sure, but it will also have to operate using PCIe 2 for the cards to work.)... so effectively you might as well have kept the Thunderbolt 2 chassis using a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-02-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:13 AM

Default Re: M1 Macbook crashes and restarts when HDX chassis is removed

I use a HD Native Thunderbolt core box and have the same issue. It sucks. It seems like they're sunsetting it as of 12/31/22.

To do this before releasing a successor option with thunderbolt makes no sense to me.