Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-31-2022, 12:39 AM

Default Request - Selection minimum selection length Preference

Hey all,
Just wondering if there's a way of "not" making a selection in the edit page, when zoomed in and move the insertion point with the mouse.
5/10 times I seem to be selecting a length of a few samples preventing the expected playback from., what I thought was going to be, the insertion point.

I know it's come up somewhere before, but wondering if any one has any workarounds, or if AVID could be so kind as to add a preference for this.

Regards,
Matt
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 05-31-2022, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Request - Selection minimum selection length Preference

One workaround is to use Grid mode by default. Another is to click a little after the desired insertion point and immediately type 1 on the numpad, which "rewinds" by an amount set in prefs. The solution is to use a trackball rather than a mouse or a trackpad - that makes it possible to click with no chance of motion.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-31-2022, 07:37 AM

Another workaround is to have a long post-roll set, which is easy to do by opt-clicking (Mac) after your selection. Once that's on, it should stay on. I do this all the time to prevent Avid Video Engine errors that crop up when trying to playback a very short selection (e.g. 1 frame or less).
Old 05-31-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
One workaround is to use Grid mode by default. Another is to click a little after the desired insertion point and immediately type 1 on the numpad, which "rewinds" by an amount set in prefs. The solution is to use a trackball rather than a mouse or a trackpad - that makes it possible to click with no chance of motion.
Thanks for the response. I tried to use a trackball for a while many years ago and it just wasn't for me.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 05-31-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Another workaround is to have a long post-roll set, which is easy to do by opt-clicking (Mac) after your selection. Once that's on, it should stay on. I do this all the time to prevent Avid Video Engine errors that crop up when trying to playback a very short selection (e.g. 1 frame or less).
Wow, yeah, never thought of that.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:30 PM

Lol I do this all the time. Never thought to use the post roll that way. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-01-2022, 09:27 PM

Another possibility is tapping the down (or up) arrow which will de-select and put the playhead at either end of the small selection made by clicking then slightly dragging.

Thus, whenever you try to place the playhead/cursor, a tap on the arrow before playback should work.

If you did not drag slightly after clicking, the up or down arrow won't typically bug anything, so it's just a fail safe if you do make a selection. If you did not, the arrow button press is just redundant and should be no problem.

Grid mode and trackball are what work best for me, but I sometimes do this anyway just by not remembering always to raise my fingers entirely from the ball.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Another possibility is tapping the down (or up) arrow which will de-select and put the playhead at either end of the small selection made by clicking then slightly dragging.
Oh, that's cool! I constantly use that during playback, but had no idea it worked when the transport was stopped.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-03-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post

Thus, whenever you try to place the playhead/cursor, a tap on the arrow before playback should work.

If you did not drag slightly after clicking, the up or down arrow won't typically bug anything, so it's just a fail safe if you do make a selection. If you did not, the arrow button press is just redundant and should be no problem.

Grid mode and trackball are what work best for me, but I sometimes do this anyway just by not remembering always to raise my fingers entirely from the ball.
Yes, that’s how I normally address the issue, but it would be nice to not have to.
It’s usually when you don’t see that you’ve made a micro selection, hit play … and Grrr.