Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2022, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Drum VI recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The thing is you don’t need to download the whole 230GB core library unless you REALLY need surround and height mics. Even if you did, running all the mic positions is ridiculously demanding of CPU and disk throughput, even with the fastest of systems.

Also the room (Galaxy Studios) is VERY roomy. It really is a very big room, too big IMO. You can’t fault the quality but you need to really like a lot of room.
True, you can download the basic sound library at around 40GBs. But I like to have everything. CPU power isn't an issue - i've got 20 cores and 96GB ram on the workstation. If I was using a laptop I'd probably just use the basic.

But a lot of the new SDX's are also really large. The Death and Darkness SDX is 183GB and it's fabulous. The DW kit is so killer and well sampled. Totally worth the money.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-10-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If you are just getting started with ToonTracks drum VIs, I'd suggest just jumping in with EZ Drummer 2 and see how it goes, take the free upgrade to 3 when it comes out. Easy quick to get started.

And to add to something Benoni said, Toontrack Product Manager which downloads the libraries and helps keep things up to date is one of the best such products, just so very well done. (I would not trust Avid Link to manage my updates for example).
I agree. Along with Native Instruments, both companies have amazing product managers that are easy to use and just work.

Waves does pretty well too. Every once and awhile you'll have to clear the cache, but I haven't had too many issues with it.

Although I still dream of a day where we can have one or two auth and manager systems that work with every plugin.

I guess this could happen with an App store/Microsoft Store way of buying and installing plugins.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-10-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
True, you can download the basic sound library at around 40GBs. But I like to have everything. CPU power isn't an issue - i've got 20 cores and 96GB ram on the workstation. If I was using a laptop I'd probably just use the basic.

But a lot of the new SDX's are also really large. The Death and Darkness SDX is 183GB and it's fabulous. The DW kit is so killer and well sampled. Totally worth the money.
Most people can probably get away without downloading 11 channels of surround at nearly 100Gb for the core library, especially with a reverb time of 2.4 seconds! There are still three choices of stereo room mics and two alternative overheads without the surround downloads.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:35 PM

It looks like there are a lot of different add-ons available for EZDrummer. I assume they give you different kit options, which might be nice for alternate sounds, but what is the basic selection of grooves like? Do you really need to get some of the add-ons too in order for EZDrummer to be useful in a variety of genres? Again, I'm mostly interested in rock, jazz, country, etc.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:26 PM

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.getgooddrums.com

Good sounds, reasonable price. Sound pretty great too.

My biggest complaint is aways snare.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Although I still dream of a day where we can have one or two auth and manager systems that work with every plugin.
Understood. In the ideal world Pro Tools would install plugins, keep them updated and manage everything centrally. The installation, authorisation and library management could have been standardised in the plugin specs. Thus the user could have avoided jumping through a myriad of hoops to get everything running.

The plugin updaters from the vendors who have central installers are great. I can update over 100 Plugin Alliance plugins in one go. I avoid getting into bed with vendors who have few plugins and short histories in the business unless I really am tempted with the product(s).

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 04-11-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My 2 cents, but I think Strike got passed by many years ago. EZDrummer2 and Addictive Drums 2 are both really good, and both quite easy to build performances with(BTW, Toontrack just announced EZDrummer3). Superior Drummer 3 takes it to a whole other level. Not only does it do everything EZDrummer does(and then some), it can play all the EZX kits and can act as one of the best drum replacement tools available(sorry Slate and Drumagog) Well worth the extra money if your budget allows
I'm a fan of Addictive Drums myself. I've been slowly buying up their kits over the last few years.

I do tend to use Battery instead when it comes to electronic kits, however, even though I have the AD2 I have their "Reel Machines" kit. Not because it's bad in anyway, its actually quite good, but there's a certain workflow that you generally want with electronic music and Battery better suits that. It allows you to add any sample you want and offers you many ways in which to manipulate it.

You don't get that kind of workflow in AD2 or Superior Drums, but that's because they're distend for a different purpose and are quite good at it.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
It looks like there are a lot of different add-ons available for EZDrummer. I assume they give you different kit options, which might be nice for alternate sounds, but what is the basic selection of grooves like? Do you really need to get some of the add-ons too in order for EZDrummer to be useful in a variety of genres? Again, I'm mostly interested in rock, jazz, country, etc.
The basic kits and grooves aren't too shabby at all, but those EZXs are a bottomless pit of good stuff. The Jazz EZX is pretty good, Nashville is an oldie but goldie for country and rock. That one also has a really nice brushes kit, and there's a ton of rock options.

It'll be well worth getting EZD2 first before the EZD3 upgrade, because if history is a guide the old factory libraries become paid EZXs once the new version is out. They're promising a lot of new grooves too in 3. I don't think there's any brushes kits in either 2 or 3 factory libraries, so another reason to pick up Nashville in a sale at some point.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-11-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post

My biggest complaint is always snare.
Thanks for reminding me of my one complaint about EZDrummer and Superior Drummer. They both tend to have way too much snare in the overhead channels. The fix is pretty simple as both allow you to control bleed, so taking the snare bleed in the overheads down 50-70% solves sit for me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
The basic kits and grooves aren't too shabby at all, but those EZXs are a bottomless pit of good stuff. The Jazz EZX is pretty good, Nashville is an oldie but goldie for country and rock. That one also has a really nice brushes kit, and there's a ton of rock options.

It'll be well worth getting EZD2 first before the EZD3 upgrade, because if history is a guide the old factory libraries become paid EZXs once the new version is out. They're promising a lot of new grooves too in 3. I don't think there's any brushes kits in either 2 or 3 factory libraries, so another reason to pick up Nashville in a sale at some point.
I would jump on EZDrummer 2 with EZ3 coming in May but for one problem - no MIDI remapping. I wouldn't mind so much but for as much as one of their mappings follows GM spec (for the most part) but there's one huge error - they map the high tom to the wrong note. I wrote their support if MIDI remapping was going to happen in EZ3 but nothing back from them.

QAPLA!