Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM

Exclamation Anyone experience the "pro tools deleted my files" behavior in PT 10?

Hello,

I am trying to decide when to make the move to PT 10, and am wondering if anyone has experienced loss of audio files after consolidating regions and closing sessions as described in this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=286912

If this has been solved in PT10, it's well worth the move for me.

Please folks, if you have any info, speak up.

Thanks much!

Peter Scherr
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone experience the "pro tools deleted my files" behavior in PT 10?

I would like to think that if we had any sort of serious issue with Pro Tools deciding on it's own to delete files without asking the user at least 4 times to submit a written authorization we would know about it and these forums would have like 15 threads about it per day !!!!

That is a 2 year old thread and afaic tell even back then the suspicion of 'user error' or an external hardware error was actually far greater then it being a Pro Tools issue back then.

So as far as it being 'solved' ? I don't think there was anything to solve there to begin with.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 AM

Exclamation Re: Anyone experience the "pro tools deleted my files" behavior in PT 10?

Thanks for responding...

I'm not trying to cause trouble here. Just asking for other users' experiences. My intention is constructive, and I'd like to think that the way I asked my question was diplomatic.

I have been a committed pt user since '93, and plan to continue as long as I can.

I'd still like to hear from other operators regarding this question.

I hope that the news turns out to be good, and if so, I'll gladly move ahead to PT 10.

Thank you.

Peter Scherr
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone experience the "pro tools deleted my files" behavior in PT 10?

Nothing wrong with your question or the way you asked it.

Maybe a more appropriate title than 'Anyone experience the "pro tools deleted my files" behavior in PT 10?' would have been 'Is Pro Tools 10 working reliable for you guys ... ?' or something like that.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 AM

Exclamation Re: Anyone experience the "pro tools deleted my files" behavior in PT 10?

Thanks again. I can see your point. However, I do hope that a focused thread title will result in a focused response.

Getting back to the topic:

In PT9, I've experienced the following behavior:

• Consolidate regions across multiple tracks (typically in preparation for cross platform sharing of work)

• Save session and close

• On re-opening session, consolidated regions are blank and pro tools reports files missing. PT is unable to link the missing audio, and the audio can not be found using mac os finder.

• Has anyone using PT10 experienced this behavior?

Thanks!

Peter Scherr

PTHD3
plugs all up to date.
Work Drives: Seagate ST32000644NS 2TB
No VI's
may 2008 macpro, 2 x 2.8 ghz quad core
Lots of RAM
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 AM

I personally haven't seen that in 10 or indeed any previous version of Pro Tools. Could your Disk Allocation be incorrect when this occurs?

Despite you thinking that files would be written to SESSION FOLDER/Audio Files they are actually being written somewhere else on the drive?

As DigiTechSupt says if this were a widespread issue the DUC would be filled with complaint threads.

Sorry can't be more help.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Seems this happened to some with Pro Tools 9 and 8 as well

Seems very random but it happens

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=286912
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 AM

I suppose it's worth mentioning that whilst I haven't done the PT10 upgrade yet, I haven't had the random file deletion after consolidation issue since the 9.0.3 upgrade. I did have it in previous versions on a couple of occasions.

I can understand why you don't want to install that particular upgrade due to the MIDI editor slowness, but I think it's reasonable to assume whatever fix went into 9.0.3 has also been incorporated into PT10.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM

Thanks Gents,

This behavior is not related to disc allocation procedures.

Does 9.0.3 really solve this? Have you done a lot of multi track consolidation in 9.0.3?

Thanks again,

Peter Scherr
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Gents,

This behavior is not related to disc allocation procedures.

Does 9.0.3 really solve this? Have you done a lot of multi track consolidation in 9.0.3?
Yes lots, BD nearly every session and consolidate after, I'm in 9.0.6 at the moment, but never had it happen post 9.0.3.

BUT like I said, MIDI editor and MIDI in general got very sluggish after the 9.0.3 update in sessions with a lot of MIDI. Up to 10 tracks or so I don't really notice anything, but beyond that it gets slower and slower until it's almost unusable. So if MIDI's very important to your workflow you might be better not updating. We're around 95% audio here so it doesn't affect us too much. 2 steps forward and one back!

PS, I'm a Lady actually