Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 AM

Default Noise from Main Out L (hardware problem?)

Howdy folks,

There is a disturbance in the force

I have my 11R plugged (in stereo) into a mixer that feeds my speakers. Lately, I've noticed a static sounds being emitted from the Main Out L, with intermitten pops. I've tried plugging into different inputs on my mixer, switching cables around, lifting the ground, not lifting the ground etc., but this static noise persists. When the main volume is on 0 (and also when I mute the main out), there is no difference in the static that's coming out of the speakers. It doesn't register on the I/O meters, cannot be heard over the headphone out, nor does it come out from Output to Amp 1 (regardless of what output to amp is set to). Changing the clock source also has no impact on the sound.

Any ideas before I send it in? I'd really prefer not to have to do that, I'd miss her too much
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Avid

Default Re: Noise from Main Out L (hardware problem?)

What happens when you flip the cables (plug the cable on the right into the left jack of 11R and vice versa)? If the noise flips to the other speaker then it sounds like an 11R hardware problem, if not then it sounds like a problem somewhere else in the signal chain.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
What happens when you flip the cables (plug the cable on the right into the left jack of 11R and vice versa)? If the noise flips to the other speaker then it sounds like an 11R hardware problem, if not then it sounds like a problem somewhere else in the signal chain.
Hi Chris, that was the first thing I tried. I can verify that the noise is indeed only heard coming from the left output. It's intermitten, though, and has suddenly stopped. I will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't return and see if I can't try it through several other inputs. I really hope I don't need to send it back
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Okay the problem is persistent and confirmed... time to call in the warranty. She will be missed *sniff*