Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Exclamation Pro Tools 9 deleted my files!!!!

I was doing some drum editing today. I duplicated the playlist and consolidated all of the drum files. I was listening down fine, and everything was normal. When I started using Beat Detective and scrubbing to find the transients, all of a sudden I got an error message that said "unable to find volume". After that, the selection turned black, and one of regions was extended the length of the session.

After that, I quit and restarted. I opened the session, and now all of the newly consolidated files are missing. Nothing was running in the background, and there was nothing out of the ordinary...it just deleted my files. VERY SCARY AND SHOULD BE LOOKED AT BY AVID!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 deleted my files!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourquie View Post
I was doing some drum editing today. I duplicated the playlist and consolidated all of the drum files. I was listening down fine, and everything was normal. When I started using Beat Detective and scrubbing to find the transients, all of a sudden I got an error message that said "unable to find volume". After that, the selection turned black, and one of regions was extended the length of the session.

After that, I quit and restarted. I opened the session, and now all of the newly consolidated files are missing. Nothing was running in the background, and there was nothing out of the ordinary...it just deleted my files. VERY SCARY AND SHOULD BE LOOKED AT BY AVID!
To be honest... you should be more concerned about your drives failing than pointing the blame at Pro Tools.

"Unable to find volume" sounds far more like a disk error than anything else. Are you sure the files are missing completely? Have you poked around the regions list or audio folder?

At this point... I would be more concerned about backing up what you have, and putting in a new disk. If you're on a Mac, run Verify disk and see what happens.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM

All other files are in tact. Every other session opens fine. Drive is Verified. I went back to the session file backup, and all was fine before I consolidated. Nowhere on my drive were the newly consolidated files. However, when I consolidated the same batch again, it worked fine. If I were a betting man, I would point to Pro Tools...since this is the first public release of a whole new version, and I have had no prior problems with this Glyph drive, I think think its right to point to pro tools. The ONLY files missing on the entire drive are the ones related to this one problem.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourquie View Post
All other files are in tact. Every other session opens fine. Drive is Verified. I went back to the session file backup, and all was fine before I consolidated. Nowhere on my drive were the newly consolidated files. However, when I consolidated the same batch again, it worked fine. If I were a betting man, I would point to Pro Tools...since this is the first public release of a whole new version, and I have had no prior problems with this Glyph drive, I think think its right to point to pro tools. The ONLY files missing on the entire drive are the ones related to this one problem.
Well, it could have also just been a random blip. You are right that PT9 is certainly a new x.0 release, but I've had nothing but perfect stability so far. As I said, the error just screams disk issue to me.

Either way, glad to hear it's back to work. Let us know if it happens again!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Come to think of it, I've had it happen to me in 8.0.4 on a different pro tools rig with a different hard drive a few months ago. Don't know what causes it, but its a little strange. My PT9 has been pretty stable, with the exception of a few things. Beat detective markers disappear when I page right, but will re-appear with the next page right, it crashes when I'm playing audio and I unplug my headphones from my macbook pro. Like previous versions, sometimes when selecting the entire song for Beat Detective, it only gives triggers for approx 1/3 of the song. Then I just go and do smaller sections and it works fine.

Small bugs like that.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:40 PM

I've seen this happen also in 8.0.4 HD. I was luckily saved by having earlier playlists to go back to.

There's at least 4 threads in the HD forum with other users reporting the same issue in 8.0.4 and 8.1, with zero response from avid in any of them. It would be nice if they would comment on it.

I downgraded as soon as I possibly could, and am not moving from 8.0.3 until it's confirmed to be fixed. I'm not going to risk having to explain to a client where their files disappeared to.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Kourquie - Out of curiosity, was it 9 or 9HD that your files were deleted on? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Yesterday in the session folder all of my files were gone in the Audio folder...but PT had created another folder in the same session folder and put them in there. Not kidding...maybe for you?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 AM

It happened to me once in 8.1cs2 as well. Fortunately one of the session file backups still had the unconsolidated edit and I was able to recover it. I haven't been able to recreate it or had it happen since so I hadn't reported it yet.

It seemed like pro tools incorrectly flagged the consolidated audio as being no longer needed, and when the consolidate command dropped out the undo history it automatically deleted the files! Scary stuff!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM

happened to me as well... PT9 and I opened a session worked on it (mixing) and next time I reopened it 2 files where missing - I just went back with time machine and copied the files back to my audio folder - no big issue... but scary
beside that PT9 is VERY stable! luv it