Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Want to reduce size of session folder. What am I doing wrong??

Ok, I've got a demo project that I've been doing a bunch of edits on.
I've pretty much got it prepped to give to an engineer for mixing.
However, I think I'm doing something wrong.

I want to reduce the size of the session folders so that I can get each song on a DVD. (One in particular is over 5GB.)

I've consolidated regions and tried selecting and clearing unused audio files, as well as compacting regions, etc.

However, it doesn't seem to be streamlining the session. Am I doing the proper steps to get rid of the unused audio in the session, or do I need to consolidate all the audio and import them into a new session?

Just trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Want to reduce size of session folder. What am I doing wrong??

Did you delete the unused audio from disc? If you just remove audio from the session, then unused files remain in the audio files folder.

A useful exercise is to compare the contents of audio folder with the files (in bold) in the regions bin. This will tell you if there are any 'surplus to requirements'.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post
Did you delete the unused audio from disc? If you just remove audio from the session, then unused files remain in the audio files folder.

A useful exercise is to compare the contents of audio folder with the files (in bold) in the regions bin. This will tell you if there are any 'surplus to requirements'.

Uh oh... I'm afraid to ask... Is "delete files from disk" in the same options as "delete unused audio from session?" I guess I assumed that deleting it from the session was the same as deleting it from the disk.
I don't remember seeing that option. Sorry if this is a bonehead Q.....
Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 PM

I believe if you use the "Save Session Copy In" function, you are only copying the audio and regions used in the session. Just make sure you select the correct options, so that you are copying all audio files, etc, and not the "link to source where possible" option. I'm pretty sure you will then have just the audio files used in the newly copied session's audio folder.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChance View Post
Uh oh... I'm afraid to ask... Is "delete files from disk" in the same options as "delete unused audio from session?" I guess I assumed that deleting it from the session was the same as deleting it from the disk.
I don't remember seeing that option. Sorry if this is a bonehead Q.....
Just to be clear,

1. Open Regions Bin (<< bottom right of edit window)
2. Click on the grey Regions header and (from the drop down menu) select/unused.
3. Regions header clear.

At this point you should get the 'remove or delete' prompt.

Alternatively, follow Marc's suggestion of 'Save Copy In' and check 'copy all audio files'. This effectively creates a new session with new copies of all (in use) audio files.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Phil's got it - I think he clarified some of what I said. Thanks!

[email protected]
www.marcfrigo.com
Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Well, duh... I'm a dummy.
I tried clearing the unused audio again, and noticed the "delete files from disk" option. I don't know why in the world I never saw that before.
Only PITA about it was having to answer "yes" individually to each file it was going to delete.
I know it's just there for our own security, but one of those things where "yes to all" might come in handy when dealing with tons of pieces of tracks.

Thanks for the tips, fellas-

JC
Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 PM

Mouth breather from XP land here... on Wyndoze machines, the command for "I mean ALL of them need to go RIGHT NOW!" is <ALT> "Remove", so likely <option> "Remove" for you.

<returns to the dark side>
Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 PM

Yep - hold down the alt/option key, I believe, when deleting, and they will all go away at once!

[email protected]
www.marcfrigo.com
Old 09-19-2008, 01:38 AM

you should take care before doing anything impulsive. if you have multiple version of the session it is not a good idea to remove unused adio from disk because you will most likely remove audio from another version of the session. The best thing to do is remove all unused audio from the session and then> copy session in. This new session will have its own folder with its own audio files folder and will most likely be able to fit on a CD.