Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Anyone got a MacBookPro/MBox2Pro working reliably?

Anyone got a MacBookPro/MBox2Pro working reliably? I'm getting my butt kicked getting that combo to work. I just did a fresh install of MacOS 10.4.7 and ProTools 7.1.3cs2 on a firewire drive and still can't get it to work right. "CPU holding offf interrupts too long...-6086)

Anyone got it working?
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Avid

Default Re: Anyone got a MacBookPro/MBox2Pro working reliably?

Will - from what I understand from your call to TS, you've replaced your 'frameworks' folder with a different one that was installed with the Mbox 2 Pro software in the attempt to allow Pro Tools to work with other Digidesign hardware.

Is this correct?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:33 AM

Hi,

No that is not correct. What happened is that I already had 7.1.1cs2 on my computer and installed 7.1.3 over it when I got the MBox2Pro. In the process of troubleshooting I tried disconnecting the "Pro" and connecting a regular MBox2" and it worked perfectly, despite warnings in various readmes that 7.1.3 would only run the "Pro". When I reported this to a tech on the phone he had me check the version of the DAE.framework file and we were surprised to find that despite the install of 7.1.3, the DAE.framework file was still at 7.1.1cs2! So somehow the 7.1.3 installer could not overwrite that file. I later discovered that the DAE.framework file had read and write permission set as follows:
you can-read and write
owner (will)- read and write
group (admin) -read only
others -read only

So maybe that is why the file did not change

Me and the phone tech did a clean uninstall of 7.1.3, 7.1.1, and then a re-install of 7.1.3. It changed the version of the DAE.framework file but the -6086 errors persist.

I spent a bunch of time with another phone tech yesterday working on this problem, with no love in the end. He is going to try to replicate the problem and get back to me. I will report the results when we conclude later this week.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Avid

Ok, sorry about the confusion - post back if you are unable to resolve this with the tech you spoke to.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Hi Will,

Sounds like your on the right track with Tech support regarding complete uninstalls (and trashing related remnants) and complete reinstalls.

But in terms of reliability I have an Mbox 2 Pro with an intel Macbook here and the performance is really great (playback of real heavy sessions @ 64 samples with 2 RTAS processors loaded with plugs even off the internal drive). I've tried to break this setup (within reason..not the app reason, but within reasonable expectations -and I'm good at breakin' things ) and it is bulletproof thus far.

However, at first, I was seeming to get sporadic results unless I had the Macbook plugged in (underpowered firewire?) in both 10.4.6 and Bootcamp (Bootcamp I think is still a little risky). I initially had the stock 512k RAM but then maxed it out to the 2 gig and thus far with it plugged in or not the performance is amazing. I have to install the PT cs update for Mbox 2 Pro but again I can't say enough about how this has been working for me.

Just thought I'd mention the power and RAM situation I encountered (I'm not saying this is related to your issues and/or would fix your setup), but with that Macbook Pro you should be getting amazing results like I am.. and I only have the Macbook 2ghz dual.

Oh one last thing.. somewhere I installed an incompatible (with Intel Mac) plug-in (or software) that made my screen resolution all funny (looked like a crayon painting). I had to reinstall Tiger (painfully slow) and since this machine (along with Mbox 2 pro) continues to excite me.

Hang in there and good luck!

leonard
www.labranville.com
Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 AM

Hi Leonard,

Try something for me. Open a single stereo audio track, and start recording. Then open and close Safari a couple times and see what happens. My system stops recording and reports a -6086 error when I quit Safari, or any other app for that matter, usually the second time I quit it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Anyone got a MacBookPro/MBox2Pro working relia

Hey Will,
I'm having the same problem. I can't playback any audio. The second I hit play, the spinning pin wheel appears and then gives me the CPU load error. I have the HW buffer maxed out and the CPU load limit set to 90%. I've tried playing back from 2 different Firewire drives plugged into the Mbox as well as trying to play from the laptop drive. 1.8Ghz Dual Core Intel Mac Book Pro with 512MB of RAM
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 AM

Hi,

I strongly suggest you take the time to call Digi tech support so they can help us with this. They can't fix a problem that they don't know they have, right?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM

Hi Will,

Yes, I do get a 6068 error as you mentioned with said test. It would be nice if this didn't happen, but I'm usually careful about only running PT during a recording session (especially if I'm recording something that's critical). When other CPU intensive applications are opened (along with PT) it's competing for the computers resources and therefore throwing the errors (sorry to state the obvious). Interesting though.. it happens with some applications and not others. However, as mentioned, usually when I'm recording I'm just working on said session as to not upset my session. How has the performance been otherwise ?
Thanks,

leonard
www.labranville.com
Old 10-19-2006, 03:01 PM

Will,

Just to expand on the performance I'm getting with this puppy. I can run the full 32 track Davec 1 test @ 256 buffer with CPU usage @ 85%. This is with 2 RTAS processors while opening and closing plug-in windows like a madman and changing back and forth from the mix to edit window for three plus minutes all without a hiccup. PT's CPU session meter is at half, and the disk meter is at a quarter. I can also playback Digi's "Filtered Dream", "Meant To Be", and "Be There" demos ("Be There" is an oldie ) all at a 64 buffer setting while opening and closing session windows and multiple plug-in windows (and of course my real world sessions with no problems). I am doing more recording with this very soon but so far playback and mixing has gone very well for me (considering I have an Accel system and I'm picky as hell).
Mileage will vary but I wanted to mention the kind of yardstick performance that I'm experiencing.

leonard
www.labranville.com