Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-1999, 11:05 AM

Default Ruler view´s missing timecode....????

I can´t find the timecode in the ruler view..
And I can´t find any notice in the manual
about that it´s not avalible in 001... ???
Old 12-13-1999, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Ruler view´s missing timecode....????

This is a "feature" of Protools LE.

------------------
Ciarán Cahill
Music, Macs n'Stuff.
Old 12-14-1999, 08:52 AM

It is in the manual...something to the effect that the full SMPTE implementation is TDM only. . . unfortunately I found this out the hard way (Buying the DIGI 001). My solution was to create 2 system folders (each on it's own drive) and then installed PT5LE on one and PT 4.1.1 on the other. I run ProTools 5LE w/Digi 001 for music/sound recording and ProTools 4.1.1 w/ Audio Media III to do my spotting work for film & video. It takes more time - an additional PCI slot - does not take full advantage of the 001's better sound quality - and ultimately costs more money. I would like to know if DIGI has any compassion for those of use who have been using the SMPTE timeline for years? My first request would be to implement the SMPTE timeline in ProTools 5LE...if this is not possible, the second request would be to let an earlier version of ProTools drive the DIGI 001. This appears to me to be the kind of marketing ploy that AVID is reknown for...a way to herd low end users toward TDM systems. I can only say that it should be obvious that for various extenuating circumstances we do not all enjoy the same access to the boom economy. I would love to hear some rationale for the nonimplementation of SMPTE spotting?

DaVidS.
Old 12-15-1999, 06:31 AM

"My first request would be to implement the SMPTE timeline in ProTools 5LE...if this is not possible..."

Of course this is possible, the functionality was in beta versions of LE.

"This appears to me to be the kind of marketing ploy that AVID is reknown for...a way to herd low end users toward TDM systems."

Bingo.

"I would love to hear some rationale for the nonimplementation of SMPTE spotting?"

I think digi finally did respond to this one, and basically said it a marketing decision motivated by the reason above - although I wouldn't mind hearing someone from digi elaborate further.

Mike
Old 12-15-1999, 11:22 AM

I will miss my TC ruler (A poem)

I will miss my TC ruler,
Because it made me feel like a jeweler,
I could nudge by every frame or quarter,
It was the only way to keep effects in order,
I used it at home to make a little bread,
But now I know it is dead,
Please bring it back so I can make some money,
I don't need an upgrade loan for me an my honey.
Old 12-16-1999, 06:50 AM

This was an unfortunate decision on Digi's part. But for under a grand, I guess you get what you pay for. I just wish you guys at Digi would make it a little more clear about who your products are geared at. Obviously, people working in video post production want a system that has SMPTE timecode in the timeline. But for musicians, this product is probably pretty good for the price.
Old 12-16-1999, 10:48 AM

I don't think we should be so conciliatory toward Digidesign's decision to delete this feature. Perhaps I am missing something here, but the idea of providing the end user with continuity in trade for their allegiance to buy in to product development upgrades seems like an unspoken contract of good faith. . . just because there are a lesser number of musicians engaged in low budget, educational or experimental film and video projects is not a great reason to give us a shove....if anything Digidesign should be supporting the creative noncommercial / educational environments where the next crop of users are being trained. It should be noted that the Digi 001 does not have an input for wordclock - so you wouldn't really be cutting sync dialogue on this thing, however in the past PT 4.1 - 4.3 was great for spotting music cues and effects, etc.

I sure would like to talk to an educational or marketing rep about the actual numbers of potential Film/Video users they have potentially effected in the education market.

DS
Old 12-16-1999, 04:40 PM

david stout-
two system folders are necesary for 4.3.2 and 5.0le to coexist? this seems like a large PITA. i am still waiting for my 5.0le but do not want to lose 4.3.2
could i have one system folder on an external drive with 4.3.2 on that same drive?
this would be less than optimum as this is my 'work' drive and is frequently abused and low level formatted.
i also don't know if you can have pt4.3.2 installed on anything but the internal. i don't want to lose my ultra small amount of keys(don't get me started on these *ing keys.....)
do you have any advice?
-coaster
"the pro tools ebinezer scrooge" as i think haze put it.
Old 12-16-1999, 09:18 PM

What I do is swap the digi INT and DAE folders, then restart. It's a bit of a pain but I get to use my 4.3.1 AMIII for audio post and LE for music production. I'll wait a year to see how they develope LE. Then I guess it's time for a core/24 system upgrade. OUCH!$$
Old 12-19-1999, 08:38 PM

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the Digi meeting where they debated which features to remove for the LE version. Besides no SMPTE ruler, you can't select non-contiguous regions - try it...

To me, removing TDM funtionality itself would constitute a "light" version. But without SMPTE, I suspect they'll lose a few people who have the AMIII and 4.3 and need it.

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.