Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM

Default Lion to SL drive problem

The other day I went to an associate's pplace to pick up some OMF and audio files he was using for a movie he was editing that I am using PT and RX 2 to remove substantial environmental noise in the dialog tracks. I am using a 1st generation Mac Pro with OS 10.6.8, he's using a relatively new iMac 27" and Lion. I took a spare, raw, Seagate 400 Mb ATA drive and a USB adaptor to is place and he did a Finder copy of the files to my drive. All well and good, except when I got it home, my computer could only transfer one folder to my other drives, citing ownership issues with the rest of the files. When I tried again to make copies, eventually my Mac complained the drive had become unusable. Indeed, running Disk Utility and Drive Genius to repair the drive was unsuccessful and the Finder now claims the entire drive to be unusable and asks me to either initialize the drive or ignore it.

Is this a problem with going from Lion OS to Snow Leopard? Does Lion do something to the drive that makes it difficult to open it in SL, or am I just unlucky enough to experience a failing drive that died when I tried to use it?

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Lion to SL drive problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmansfield View Post
The other day I went to an associate's pplace to pick up some OMF and audio files he was using for a movie he was editing that I am using PT and RX 2 to remove substantial environmental noise in the dialog tracks. I am using a 1st generation Mac Pro with OS 10.6.8, he's using a relatively new iMac 27" and Lion. I took a spare, raw, Seagate 400 Mb ATA drive and a USB adaptor to is place and he did a Finder copy of the files to my drive. All well and good, except when I got it home, my computer could only transfer one folder to my other drives, citing ownership issues with the rest of the files. When I tried again to make copies, eventually my Mac complained the drive had become unusable. Indeed, running Disk Utility and Drive Genius to repair the drive was unsuccessful and the Finder now claims the entire drive to be unusable and asks me to either initialize the drive or ignore it.

Is this a problem with going from Lion OS to Snow Leopard? Does Lion do something to the drive that makes it difficult to open it in SL, or am I just unlucky enough to experience a failing drive that died when I tried to use it?
Actually, I think it is more of an issue on SL. I've had that happen where I'd copy files from my internal to an external and it kept writing fades and audio files to the root directory of the folder.

Upon further looking, my master project folder and all the PT sessions were read only, but weren't on the internal drive.

I had to force permissions to read/write for all users on all folders. (Just highlight the master folder everything is in, and set everyone to read/write and set of all enclosed folders)

That seemed to do the trick.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Actually, I think it is more of an issue on SL. I've had that happen where I'd copy files from my internal to an external and it kept writing fades and audio files to the root directory of the folder.

Upon further looking, my master project folder and all the PT sessions were read only, but weren't on the internal drive.

I had to force permissions to read/write for all users on all folders. (Just highlight the master folder everything is in, and set everyone to read/write and set of all enclosed folders)

That seemed to do the trick.
That makes sense. (I actually tried something like that, but it did not solve the problems) Like I say, eventually the disk became unreadable; I have since reformatted it and it seems to be working fine. I think perhaps part of the problem may have been that the drive was formatted on my G5 and had the old Apple partition scheme instead of the current GUID scheme. It's possible that Lion somehow messed this up (?) but I can't be sure. I imagine there were a number of errors building up to the disk being unreadable -- I was able to transfer some stuff from the drive before the Finder told me it couldn't do any more.

Perhaps I'll look at permissions for the folders and files first next time...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 PM

Lightbulb Re: Lion to SL drive problem

It is unlikely that Lion did anything to the partition table to cause this failure. I have a G-Drive mini that I use with Lion and Snow Leopard and I have yet to experience a similar problem.

As for permissions issues, you can Get Info on your external drive and choose to Ignore ownership on this volume under the Sharing & Permissions tab. This means that everyone can read/write to the volume, regardless of the type of user account they have.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
It is unlikely that Lion did anything to the partition table to cause this failure. I have a G-Drive mini that I use with Lion and Snow Leopard and I have yet to experience a similar problem.

As for permissions issues, you can Get Info on your external drive and choose to Ignore ownership on this volume under the Sharing & Permissions tab. This means that everyone can read/write to the volume, regardless of the type of user account they have.
Thanks! That would have worked if I'd thought of doing it sooner. (By, "eventually the disk was unreadable" I mean it went down in 3-4 tries.) I shall certainly keep this in mind should the problem re-occur...

In the end I reformatted the drive, installed SL and the combo update to 10.6.8, installed Drive Genius and put the whole thing away. I would never have needed it if I had a larger flash drive, but it was about 30 gigs of info... The Drive Genius update (my expense for this trip) cost a bit more than a 32 GB flash drive, but at least I have an updated DG now. A new big flash drive will come sooner or later...

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!

Bandcamp
Soundcloud