How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Will it work with Pro Tools?

Hi!

Hope im posting this in the right section. Im about to sell my PC and the buyer wants to install Pro Tools on it (version 9 or 10). But im afraid it wont be compatible with my pc after reading the requirements, so i was hoping someone on here would know if it will work or not.

The buyer already have Avid mbox mini and the hardware in my pc is:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+
GFX Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
RAM: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB

Hope someone can help me out with this :)
Old 11-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Avid

Default Re: Will it work with Pro Tools?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en380535

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pro+tools+10_1

this might help
Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Thanks, i already been through both of those. But there are a couple of things i dont understand.

Like this: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...551?popup=true the pc is built in a shop and is not a HP or Dell.

It also says i need a Nvidia card? I dont...
Old 11-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Only way to know for sure is to load PT on it and see. You didn't say anything about the Hard Drive. It needs to be either a SSD or a conventional 7200 RPM hard drive of at least 1tb. You can get away with as little as 350Gb but having more is a lot better, you don't run out of space too quickly. Even better, if you don't have the large Hard Drive as Drive C:, you can add a slave Hard Drive and save everything you record to that and not use up much space on C:. As far as having to have NVIDIA, my PC uses the built in video processor. One of my PC's has NVIDIA, the other doesn't, and I can not see any difference.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpawley View Post
It needs to be either a SSD or a conventional 7200 RPM hard drive of at least 1tb
I'm not aware of any 1TB requirement. I have used smaller drives as dedicated session drives before, and encountered no issue. I currently use a 750GB hard drive as a session drive in my laptop, and another 750 GB hard drive as one of my session drives in my desktop. I also make occasional use of a 120GB external SSD as a session drive, and have not encountered any issue with it.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:27 PM

I think my original Sweetwater build from 2006 came with a 200GB audio drive, which was considered pretty large at the time. I never did come close to filling it up. I record mostly at 44.1, 24 bit. For a pro studio operating 12+ hours per day, a larger drive(s) would be needed, but not the average home studio. I currently have a 2TB audio drive, because the price has come down so much, but it is way larger than I need.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Drive capacity is meaningless as long as you have space for A-what you need to install on the system drive, and B-space for recording your projects. Some use a system drive as small as 64GB, but I am partial to a 256 or 500GB Samsung 850 PRO(or EVO for slightly less $). As for a recording drive, again, its up to you, but I would lead toward a WD Caviar BLACK 1TB as the smallest I would use in a desktop machine(personally, I run 2 recording drives of 1TB each, a samples drive of 2TB and a second samples drive of 750GB(just for NI Kontact). Notice that I mention sample drives as separate because 3 drives(system, recording, samples) is the ideal for best performance. If you are sticking with 2 drives, put your sample libraries on the system drive.

One big detail that nobody seems sure about is that motherboard's chipset, which is often the "make of break" detail Beyond that, while AMD may be the king of "budget", intel i7 is the current king of "performance" when it comes to Pro Tools

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-18-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selgpc View Post
Hi!

Hope im posting this in the right section. Im about to sell my PC and the buyer wants to install Pro Tools on it (version 9 or 10). But im afraid it wont be compatible with my pc after reading the requirements, so i was hoping someone on here would know if it will work or not.

The buyer already have Avid mbox mini and the hardware in my pc is:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+
GFX Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
RAM: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB

Hope someone can help me out with this :)
The most important 2 things to even have any chance to get PT9 or PT10 to work on this system seem to be ok.
1) for both PT9 and PT10 Windows 7 Pro will work like you can recheck via the links from DigiTechSupt
(for PT 9.0-9.0.1 you better use W7 without the Service Pack, for PT9.0.2+ as well as for PT10 you should use W7+Service Pack 1)

2) the machine comes with 8GB Ram (4GB officially recommended)

Another 2 important parts will be (like mentioned by all others already)
3) a fast enough OS drive with a decent amount of storage space
(doesn´t have to be 1TB indeed but should not be smaller than 256GB finally)

4) a 2nd separate fast enough, Pro Tools-ready session/audio drive.

Both drives must not be 5400rpm HDDs as those are too slow for the use with Pro Tools.
Both drives need to be 7200rpm HDDs at the minimum, SSDs preferred.

If you got those 4 things covered finally the best bet simply will be to try it out and install Pro Tools on this system.
If it isn´t qualified officially doesn´t mean it won´t work. It just means that the qualified and recommended stuff will work
for sure (or most of the time at least) and people will have a better Pro Tools life just going with the requirements.

However in many cases other stuff will work as well as long the user mind to use
A) the fitting OS

B) enough memory

C) fast enough drives for the OS drive and the 2nd (important) Pro Tools session/audio drive

... must not record to/playback from the OS drive only with Pro Tools
except one is using a modern, really high quality 512GB-1TB SSD ...

D) a fitting audio interface with the fitting version of the driver

E) to do all the optimization stuff before installing Pro Tools.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en349411

Yeah, so also make sure to use a compatible and working audio interface with it and be careful to select the fitting driver!
Then there is a good chance as those are the most important requirements to get Pro Tools to work finally.

The best of success to you!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 AM

Thank you so much for your help guys, and especially to VRW!

The pc comes with Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (7200rpm).

Im guessing all that is left is to install PT and see if it works then.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Keep the faith that it will work.