How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Unhappy Bizarre MIDI Keyboard Detection Problems

Hey everyone,

I recently got an entirely new setup at the home studio along with Pro Tools 10, and I've been having extremely frustrating problems getting Pro Tools to register note inputs from the MIDI keyboards I've been using. I have done everything I know to do for the past two days (of course MIDI Thru is enabled in the options menu and I made sure everything was setup correctly in the MIDI Studio setup window), yet I'm still having this recurring problem. First off let me describe my setup before elaborating specifically on the situation...

Setup:
I have a Mac OS X version 10.6.8 laptop running Pro Tools 10. I have a Saffire Pro 40 as an interface connected to my laptop. 2 Yamaha HS80M studio monitors are connected to the Saffire and they work perfectly fine. I have two MIDI keyboard devices, one of which is a Clavinova CLP-380 connected to the MIDI IN of the Saffire, the other is an M-Audio Keystation 61e connected directly to my laptop via USB cable. I use an HDMI cable from my laptop to a Toshiba TV on which to display the Pro Tools and Saffire mix windows.

Problem:
Even though everything is setup properly so that MIDI data should be registered by Pro Tools when I play the keyboards, nothing registers. When I have "test setup" toggled in the Audio MIDI setup, I can hear the "bing" from both the Clavinova and the M-Audio keyboards indicating that Pro Tools recognizes their connectivity, but I can't get Pro Tools to register individual note inputs from the keyboards. I have tried all different kinds of settings alterations and virtual instrument combinations, and of course I can use my mouse to input MIDI data in the Edit window on Pro Tools, but that just would take me forever to finish the projects I need to work on.

Everything is setup correctly on the Audio MIDI Setup window, and I have spent hours toiling with the Saffire routing options to see if it had anything to do with the interface. I have even tried to install updates to the drivers of both the MIDI keyboards to see if the software needed updating on my laptop for Pro Tools to register the keyboard data, but that didn't work either. Any help would be valued ENORMOUSLY! Even if nothing you recommend works I greatly appreciate your time and attention on this issue! Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Bizarre MIDI Keyboard Detection Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjagd8 View Post
Hey everyone,

...... Even if nothing you recommend works I greatly appreciate your time and attention on this issue! Thanks
Hi,

first of all, I would install MidiMonitor and see if Midi events (notes & CCs, SysEx etc.) can be monitored with it:

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM

Hey there,

I installed MIDIMonitor and it is indeed detecting data from both the M-Audio and the Clavinova... Still can't get Pro Tools to register the keyboards and even when a track is armed and recording no data points appear on the track. I tried checking the box marked "Act as destination for other sources" to see if that would make Pro Tools pickup the data but no luck. What do you think is my next best move?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM

If you like - we could check on Skype ... Clients gone now and I got some time.
I will send you a mail via DUC.
I don't think that it's much.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjagd8 View Post
Hey there,

What do you think is my next best move?
Next step I would go to Setup/MIDI/Input Devices and double check in the window that your devices show up there and got a checkmark. The name of the window is " MIDI Input Enable".