Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Project Mix question

I'm using an 002 rack and flirting with the idea of going to a control surface again. Thought of using the Project Mix not only as a control surfece, but I'd like the option of using the analog-to-ADAT feature to allow access to the ADAT inputs on the 002R. Question is, then, can you use said A/D on the Project Mix in some "standalone" fashion, or does it need to be running Pro Tools itself for the I/O to be active???
Old 12-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Project Mix question

don't know why on earth you would buy a project mix for that.

Presonus Digimax LT or FS is 8 channel ADAT, sounds good too.
Focusrite Octopre;
M-Audio Octane;
Behringer Pro-8 Digital ADA8000 are some other options.

Get rid of the 002, use the Project mix and one of the above mic pres.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM

Stay with me here. No desire to get rid of the 002 Rack since it works great. The premise is to add on to what I have, not replace stuff. If I JUST buy a control surface, we're looking at around 1200 bucks. Then another 300 for, for arguments sake, the Behringer ADA8000.
So why not buy the Project Mix to COMPLEMENT the 002R, IF the preamps will work in standalone mode and convert output to lightpipe so I can use the ADAT inputs on the 002r.....
Again, the burning question is, will the Analog-to-ADAT converters work in standalone mode? Anybody?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM

No. The projectmix will not work as a stand alone AD/DA converter. Everything is handled via the DAW software that you're using with it. The control panel that comes with its drivers are pretty much for monitoring purposes.

I am using a MOTU 828mkII to handle my AD/DA conversions and the projectmix as a controller and main firewire interface with no problems. Between the 2 I have a total of 16 inputs and outputs not including the ADAT ins and outs.

Max