Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Default OT: Reason Drum Refill and Reason 3.0 RAM question

I am running 1 GB of RAM on my Athlon 2500 XP at the moment. I just ordered the Reason 3.0 upgrade and the Reason Drum Refill 2.0. Would additional RAM help with the loading and playing of these samples? Is there a point where it just doesn't matter and a faster CPU is indicated? I have version 1.0 of the Drum Refill and it plays without problems and loads fine (albeit kind of slow) but I didn't know if additional RAM would impact the playability or load time of this set of samples. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: OT: Reason Drum Refill and Reason 3.0 RAM question

A little bump and an additional question.

How big of a pain would it be to run Reason from another computer with a decent audio interface (like one of the Frontier Design cards with ADAT ins and outs) and connect it to the 002r through the lightpipe and MIDI connections? I remember someone talking about doing something similar with Gigastudio quite a while back but I can't find any reference to that with the search on the DUC. I am assuming that the card I mentioned is a decent one because I have not really heard anything about it one way or the other. Anyone have any experience with this type of setup?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Re: OT: Reason Drum Refill and Reason 3.0 RAM question

Since I am talking to myself here anyway, I wanted add something that occurred to me while I was thinking about this problem. For the amount of money that I would have to spend for another Audio Interface and additional cables, etc... I might as well just overhaul my main PT machine with a new MOBO and a fast dual core AMD CPU and as much RAM as I can get. All my other parts are reusable I think except maybe the AGP video card. Might have to get one of those PCIx cards instead. Also a power supply upgrade might be needed but I will have to look into that.

Hmmm, maybe the best idea of them all in this one.....

Amy comments?