Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Reason - Recording Monitoring Issue

Hi folks,

Here's my issue:

In my current PT 8 session, I have 5 tracks: click, vibes (instrument track from Miroslav Philharmonik), bass (instrument track from Reason), drum loop (from PT Audio Library), and master fader.

I've laid down an upright bass part sound from Reason's NN-XT Sampler via ReWire mode in M-Powered Pro Tools 8, overtop the drum part - no issue. However, when I go to track the vibes part, I hear the Reason bass instrument playing simultaneously with the vibes. When the bass track is record enabled AND when it isn't record enabled, I hear it. The main level fader shows a level on the bass meter when I play on my keyboard (AxiomPro 61), but does not show any level on the meter at the top of the track slot near the top-most I/O selectors. Just to check things out, I tracked a take of the vibes (with the bass sounding), and upon playback, all is well - the vibes tracked fine AND without the bass. However, during tracking, I cannot seem to stop the bass from sounding. If I mute the bass track, it doesn't sound during playback (obviously).

I know it's probably a Reason monitoring issue, but cannot figure out how to solve this - I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,

M
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Reason - Recording Monitoring Issue

You have to disable your keyboard/MIDI input in Reason Preferences when in ReWire mode, as it's getting input from it directly as well as via Pro Tools.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion - how exactly is that done? I'm still getting my footing.

Thank you,

Matt
Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Let me make sense of that answer, for I use Reason as well.. Are you saying while in ReWire Pro Tools is the only thing allowed to use a midi controller, and Reason it must be disabled, as if you were not using a midi controller for it at all?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1927 View Post
Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion - how exactly is that done? I'm still getting my footing.

Thank you,

Matt
Launch Reason standalone and go to Reason>Preferences, then click on the drop-down box in the window and choose 'Keyboards and Control Surfaces'. Uncheck the 'Use with Reason' box next to any keyboards or controllers. Close the window, quit Reason, launch Pro Tools and then launch Reason to get it back into ReWire mode.

I strongly advise reading the entire Reason manual, so you know where to find these settings (and everything else in Reason) in the future.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrifox View Post
Let me make sense of that answer, for I use Reason as well.. Are you saying while in ReWire Pro Tools is the only thing allowed to use a midi controller, and Reason it must be disabled, as if you were not using a midi controller for it at all?
Yes, that is correct. Otherwise if you press a note on your keyboard, you will get the note input into BOTH Reason and Pro Tools. Pro Tools then routes that note to Reason via ReWire, resulting in double-triggered notes or conflicting on/off note messages.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Ahh, yes - there's that option.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Matt
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Launch Reason standalone and go to Reason>Preferences, then click on the drop-down box in the window and choose 'Keyboards and Control Surfaces'. Uncheck the 'Use with Reason' box next to any keyboards or controllers. Close the window, quit Reason, launch Pro Tools and then launch Reason to get it back into ReWire mode.

I strongly advise reading the entire Reason manual, so you know where to find these settings (and everything else in Reason) in the future.
That was too simple of a solution, so simple that I struggled until 4am last night with the same problem. I was focused on MIDI being sent back and forth between Reason and PT8 and forgot ALL about the Axiom Pro being connected as Reason's master controller.

Thank you for your help!