Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Default PTLE VS. Tracktion: PTLE so slow to load plugins!

I just installed a ton of plugins over the weekend and most have both RTAS and VST options.

When I load up PTLE the and it shows "loading plugins" it takes quite a while...maybe 2 minutes to load everything up. Then, when I'm in a session and load up a plugin on an individual track (only 4 tracks are on and only 1 plug in is being loaded) some plugins (Waves, Ozone, etc...) take a while to fully load and operate.

However, If I load up Tracktion, the entire process takes about 5 seconds and any plugin I choose (and I have more VST types than I do RTAS) loads up almost immediately and ready to go.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: PTLE VS. Tracktion: PTLE so slow to load plugins!

I'd say this is a hardware related issue.

Waves plugins dont take ages to open on tracks for me. They're open instantly.

Loading a full mix with numerous instances of Ren Comp Ren EQ Pultecs Focusrite Comps and EQs and it takes less than 10 seconds to build the project.

Whats tracktion anyways?

The VST wrapped plugins usually take longer to load but RTAS shouldnt

Chris Tempest
Crucial 1gig DDR PC3200 CAS3
Western Digital 80GB x2
Radeon 9200SE 64 DDR
Enermax Noisetaker 370W
Old 01-24-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: PTLE VS. Tracktion: PTLE so slow to load plugi

Tracktion is another recording software package...similar to Pro Tools and developed by Mackie. I downloaded the free program last year and really like it!!

I would think that it is hardware related...I think my Ram is too low (512) but it does not seem to happen in Tracktion, so I question why. Perhaps the actual PTLE program itself require alot more out of my PC than running Tracktion....
Old 01-24-2005, 11:27 PM

You can end the guesswork on memory usage by looking at Task Manager- it can tell you how much memory is being used by each program, and whether you've used all your physical RAM and started actively using Virtual Memory on the hard disk.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:12 PM

And yes, it does take a while for protools to open if you have a lot of plugins available. Once it is open, sessions load fairly quickly and I don't recall ever waiting for more than a second or two for a plugin to "show up" on the screen.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: PTLE VS. Tracktion: PTLE so slow to load plugins!

You need more ram first of all - RAM is king and it is cheap - That's just a general sort of suggestion.

With regards to your plugin loading question I'm gonna just shoot out a few thoughts here -

I think that the RTAS plugins are going to load considerably slower than than your basic VST stuff. It usually takes Waves 4.0 a little while to load on my system and I have 1.5 gb of RAM - If I load Ableton Live or Cubase or some other music program that is VST based they all load lickety split. Apples and Oranges in other words.

Also - If I get this correctly you installed a bunch of plugins and I'm guessing that some of these were cracked versions. If so you can basically forget about any sort of formal troubleshooting. If you are lucky enough to get stuff without viruses you have to understand that you can never be sure of what you are getting. Sometimes a corrupted file will hose your system and you won't even be aware of it right away - So the first question I guess might be - how many of those plugins do you really need? It is hard to resist I suppose but in the end, having gone down that path myself at one point in time I decided that a lot of that stuff wasn't necessary at all... Of course that's just my opinion.